Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wiring problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Jul 5, 2017.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Put a new wiring harness in my 55 Chevy.Now the tail lights both wires tail and turn wires are grounded to the body with switch off.My engine check light comes on when you use turn signal lever in the right side .I think it is the headlight switch it is the original one on the 55.It has a PI that is why I have a check engine light.Thanks for help

2. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

You had better remove all wires and rewire the car, a lot has been miss-wired. Sounds like you did not follow the instructions. I have wired quite a few, some with kits and some by my own making, and it is almost impossible to mix up if the kit is correct and followed.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Take the bulbs out & re-check ... What's a PI ?

rust runner likes this.
  4. Who's kit did you use? AAW has very detailed instructions/picture to go by! How did you decide the tail and turn are grounded. Their ground is thru the housing to the body. The light socket could be in the wrong hole in the dash.

5. Davyj

Davyj

you need to disconnect one thing at a time to find where the problem is, work slowly and keep track of what you disconnect and reconnect before moving to the next item. If you disconnect the wire to the tail lights from the headlight switch does the problem go away?

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Take it to AAMCO to get that check engine light diagnosed.....SORRY, I had to.

I would check and double check the wiring or re-do it. Take your time if you check your procedure. I don't know about the headlight switch. Might just be wired wrong.

7. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

It is a Speedway harness I know they don't make it but I didn't use the headlight switch that came with the harness because the know will not match the 55.I've wired 3 other cars with different name brands and no problems.That s a TPI that I had on it since 90's.Will get back to it today after I go get a set of tire for the Model A.I will disconnect the headligh t switch and go from there.The 2 wires at the taillight are both hot with switch on.That leads me to headlight switch.Thanks for help