Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring loom ideas experience or preference ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I know you don’t want to run the non split asphalt looming but since it was suggested so many times I thought I’d add this tip anyhow.

Get some fat heat shrink the do not only the ends of the tube but where ever you pop a hole in it to brake a/some wires out. Keeps it all nice and tight and clean :)

Blue One likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Blue One if you use the plastic zip ties, warm up your soldering iron and after you trim them off, melt them down, thank me later. The black wrap with the red tracer is actually shrink wrap. Turn your heat gun on it and it will shrink down a bit. Don't use a torch...:(

I welded in some loops in the front inner fenders to keep the harness on each side of the engine bay. This is the alt wire on the left side, it was joined by the headlights, horn, signals, etc. The right side inner fender holds the engine management system (coil, distributor, temp sensors, etc.)
    upload_2018-10-16_21-52-58.png
    That worked out trick. I also used some speed wire around the open cloth covered wires in spots, it turned out cool I think. This is a shot under the grille for example. Horns, lights, signals, etc.
    upload_2018-10-16_21-53-49.png

brad2v, CudaChick1968 and Blue One like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice and good ideas guys. I’m going to order some loom and get to it.
    If I order a master kit I’ll end up with more than I need however I like having extra stuff around for future projects anyway.

I’m going to enjoy wiring as much as Bandit Billy, I just know I am :D
    Just glad I have beer on hand :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Bandit Billy and CudaChick1968 like this.
  4. oj

oj

This is what I use mostly, it comes from McMaster-Carr, Mil-Spec & NAS rated, hightemp PEEK loom. Its expandible like a chinese finger thing, comes in black with a white tracer. Really is good stuff, very tough.
    [​IMG]

Three Widow's Garage likes this.
  5. trollst

trollst

On my 27, there isn't a wire there that isn't needed, two relays, one for the horn, one for the lights, four fuses, and the wiring to hook them up. Too much going on? Try it with fewer wires. I'm not a fan of looms, old school guy who likes to see where the wire goes.

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have 9 wires under the hood of my 56. 4 along right side 5 along left side and non are visible.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I've bought some really cool wiring accessories from DelCity.com.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The too much going on comment is of the thought that there's too much out in the open being visible.
    I agree totally although like I said when the hood is closed what's the difference.
    For mine there will be much more hidden out of sight and a whole lot cleaner looking running no hood.
    I like the look of loomed wires but being able to get at them if needed is also a requirement so closed loom is out.

That's why the split loom seems attractive to me.

9. CA. 280

CA. 280

These are my favorite tie's for mounting, just drill a 1/4" hole wherever you need one.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/tie-wraps
    That didn't work well, look under push in mounts.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were closer I'd come help...drink beer

brad2v and Blue One like this.
  11. patterg2003

patterg2003

Canadian Tire has double sided velcro. I used that to temporarily bundle wires and liked it so much that I used it as a permanent way to secure wires. The fuzzy side against the wire and the hook side out. Good for locations out of site and easy to open up to add a wire or make changes.

Blue One likes this.
  12. Princess Auto carries what appears to be the exact same stuff. I used some but found it was such a pain in the ass trying to get the wires in it, especially on long runs that it wasn't worth the aggravation. I just ended up using terminals that the pins were removable from and running the unsplit loom.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Interesting, I’ll be checking them out before I order any.
    Being Princesses Auto I will be a little suspicious on the quality of what they’re selling and they will probably also be very limited in the sizes of loom they sell.

14. Not sure of the quality it's plastic as I assume the ones in the kit are when they show a melt point. They had a pretty good selection of sizes in the West store.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m not sure if it’s plastic, it appears to be almost a woven cloth although I don’t think it is.

What painless offers with their classic braid is the same and looks like this.
    CFD24F5F-23F6-4E07-9D67-AF750EC34A4D.jpeg
    ClassicBraid is a self-wrapping split braided wiring loom for that classic show car look! Its smooth texture and appearance will transform your engine bay, giving you that factory installed look.

The tightly woven construction provides excellent blockage against mud and dirt, while maintaining adequate drainage. The lateral split design has a minimum 25% overlap to allow for easy installation and optimum wiring protection.

16. Yeah the Princess Auto stuff is woven like that. I am on the road this week but if you don't get a chance to get there I will post some pics of it when I get home Friday.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds good I’m going to check it out.

18. oldsman41

oldsman41

I use the woven stuff for what you can see which is very little. I don’t put a lot of circuits in the car just basic nesessities.

19. Here is the stuff I got from Princess Auto. To me it looks like the same stuff as posted above. Plastic was probably not the right term to describe it it's more of a nylon type material. Seems tough and the weave is nice and tight.

20181020_160315.jpg
    20181020_160354.jpg

Blue One likes this.