Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Aug 4, 2006.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I need to rewire my shoebox due to many people, who should probably have their tools taken away, thinking theyre master electricians. shes a fiddy one with an 8ba and 3spd/OD. Going to 12v. not gonna have any fancy crap on her. stock gauges. better of buying a fuse box and pawning off the wiring job on a buddy? or is there a nice clean harness i should use.....a cheap one but quality. Im an electrical idiot. Thanks

2. Spoon

Spoon

No such thing as a cheap harness, for some reason.
    I bought a 500 foot spool of 18 ga and went at it, but I kinda do it for a living.
    If you're an "electrical idiot", I'd invest in beer and get a friend to do it. You gonna keep it positive ground?

3. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

probably just change it to negative ground. all the wiring is out of it. im not so much an idiot when it comes down to it, just not patient enough to sit down and sort it out. i can do it. just takes me a while and that beer turns to 30

4. Chad s

Chad s

You can certantly do a search and find someone to support every brand out there. I rewired my car a few months ago, it was the first one Ive done. I used a Ron Francis kit, and it was a breeze. The instructions were amazing, and everything worked correctly, the first time. They run about $100 more than a Painless or similar preired harness, but its well wroth it. I think I would have spent a lot more time with a fuze box with a ton of cables coming out of it, versus the seperate fuse panel and wiring. Not to mention, the Ron Francis pannel is really high quality, versus the plastic junk many other companies use. The only time I used tech support was when wiring 3rd part components into their system, and their tech support was first rate. I know its not in the cheap but quality category, but wiring is not something I would skimp on. I think Francis sells a newer "Bare Bones" series kit that has less circuits (which shouldnt be an issue for you) that runs around $300.

5. butch27

butch27

Don't use "It's a Snap" Poor instructions, Wires for ignition and acc, feeds not long enough. Just a bunch of problems with them!

6. 4tford

4tford

I used a painless harness that came with my project I bought it was the 18 circuit of which I did not use alot of the circuits but it was easy to install and had good instructions. They have any number of options to wire cars check out their site to see the options www.painlesswiring.com .