Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring harness question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NWRustyJunk, Apr 8, 2020.

1. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'm trying to use an aftermarket wiring harness for my '40 Plymouth sedan with an early 60s 361 in it. The harness has two wires that are marked to go to the alternator. One is the battery feed wire and one is the 'excite' wire. I'm assuming this harness is intended for an internally regulated GM style alternator. What I'm needing advice on, is if I can alter it to be used with a Mopar set up with an external voltage regulator? Sorry if it's a dumb question, wiring is always a head scratcher for me!

2. alchemy

alchemy

Sure you can alter it.

3. zuke

zuke

IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    Grabbed these from google use the gm brown exciter wire as the ignition voltage in either of the diagrams, mechanical regulator gets the exciter wire and then the field goes to the one terminal on the alternator. Or if it’s an electronic regulator then it goes to one of the brush terminals on the alternator and the i terminal on the reg ts into the exciter wire. F terminal goes to the other pin on the alt. Either way make sure everything is properly grounded even a ground strap on the alternator is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. nobby

nobby

5. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Sweet! Thank you very much.