Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wiring Gurus: Looking for LOW VOLTAGE RELAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Detonator, Jul 18, 2013.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The Mouser relay is perfect for the threader's use!

2. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

If you read your post, you were indicating that the converter would need to handle the whole load, and it doesn't, it only triggers the coil, and I'm not the only one who read it that way, so???? And I can only respond to the post you made.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I am simply stating the fact that the converter is not needed with the 5v relays that were noted. That also goes for the fact that a second relay is not needed either. I myself would use a 5v coil, 6 amp contact relay, and also put a 1 mfd capacitor across the contacts to save the contacts from arcing.

4. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate the experience here.

I'd hoped to find a single 12VDC relay cube-style relay that could be triggered by a 5-6V signal -- but it looks like this Mouser relay-to-relay solution is what I'll have to go with. When you say I might want a "socket" for it -- yes, I would. Obviously, I'm not familiar with the solid state stuff. Is there a socket/plug that would adapt the pins on this relay to push-on style blade connectors?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Dave

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I would call the company on the website and talk to them about a socket. Most of these are used on a printed circuit board but they may have others with screw or spade terminals. That company is one of the few I've seen with no minimum order.

6. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Here is a link to a hybrid relay board; contains two relay circuits that can be triggered by a signal between 2.7 and 30 volts and draws tiny amounts of signal current. The 12 volt version will operate with voltages from 11 to 16 volts and will switch 15 amps which should make it good to use in an automobile environment. A little more money than two relays but it includes screw terminals for all the connections.
    http://www.winfordeng.com/products/rly102.php

[​IMG]

7. nsh57

nsh57

Dave,
    If you are still searching... here's an idea. Use a microswitch (such as supplied in a nitrous setup) that is activated by the mechanical linkage on the transmission. Problem solved.
    [​IMG]

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

This will work -

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pr...=c&gclid=CNGJqsXz2LgCFQpxQgod0BIAeA#tab=specs

What's up with all the relays?

Current Rating : 30 A
    Current, Rating : 30⁄20 AAC⁄ADC
    Dielectric Rating : 2500 VAC (Coil to Contact)
    Function : Power
    Material, Contact : AgCdO
    Mounting Type : PCB
    Number of Pins : 4
    Power, Rating : 7500⁄560 VA⁄W
    Relay Type : Electro Mechanical
    Resistance, Coil : 27 Ohms
    Resistance, Contact : 100 Milliohms (Max.)
    Standards : UL, CSA, VDE
    Temperature, Operating : -55 to 105 °C
    Termination : Through Hole
    Voltage, Control : 5 VDC
    Voltage, Rating : 250 VAC

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Hey, just noticed we're neighbors. :cool: I can swing by to help if you want. I made a living fixing the electronic stuff all my life.