Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wiring ,fun or frustrating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, May 7, 2015.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I am trying to hold off from going to the garage this morning. I seldom start a job I just don't like but my backs up against the wall. My later model Peekup was the factory stripped model. So as I have money and time available I hit the U-pull-it and get upgraded interior pieces.
    Now its time to install everything. I have pieces of several wiring looms that fit the individual components. Today I must start on entigrating them together.
    I am not looking forward to this.
    Does anybody else hate wiring besides me ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm guessing it will go about 94% hating, 5% don't mind it, 1% love it

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This is one time I wish I was a %1 er.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind it at all, and actually get a slight bit of entertainment from some of the "electrical woe" posts on the board. I normally don't respond to them anymore because they seem to always end up having a lot of posts with conflicting information in them, and people willing to argue both sides of a point. Better to sit on the sidelines, glance at my electrical engineering degree hanging on the wall of my office, and maybe just grin a little bit.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't mind it either. I'm related to several EEs, but that doesn't keep me from being able to wire a car.

6. 55Brodie

55Brodie

I find it to be therapeutic, so I guess I am 1 percenter. Just go slowly, make solid connections and strive to keep it tidy. The right tools are a must, too.

Frankie47, Texas57 and GeezersP15 like this.
  7. i kind enjoy it..and whenever i'm doing it i know i'm reaching the end of a project

8. I always enjoyed it in my younger days...

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I love the part where we make use of repaired worn parts ... regulators, relays, switches, etc. Most of the new parts sold today for replacement are not even close in quality or reliability.

10. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Wiring is my thing. I can't do decent body work an can't weld worth a damn. I wire my cars from scratch with spools of wire. I've got a copy of How to Wire Your Street Rod and it's all I need. Just the diagram of GM column internal wiring justified the purchase price. It's from Dave Irwin, P.O. Box 644 Mustang OK 73064. Don't know if it's still in print. I've had mine a while. But it may not help you sort out pieces of factory harnesses.

GeezersP15 likes this.
  11. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

When it comes to replacement parts , be careful of the gold that comes from across the pond. Some times it's a piece of dung out of the box.

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I guess I'm among the 1% gang. I really enjoy it.

13. The only part I find frustrating is turn signals. The rest is easy.

pat59 likes this.
  14. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I could have had it done in a week but I wanted everything to work. I'm farther along than what this photo shows...

Honestly, I'm not digging' it. StudeDashMess.jpg

15. dan c

dan c

my first was my '49 ford. got one of those peruvian wiring kits from jcwhitney. some wires too short. take care pulling the bundle that goes to the trunk. biggest headache was the wiring that went to the dimmer switch wound up right in the way of a large self-tapping screw that goes through the firewall. had a hell of a time figuring out why the circuit breaker kept tripping. getting the turn signal switch and brake switch in synch was another problem. having a service manual really helped, though.

16. belair

belair

Sounds like yours is just plug and play. I hope it goes well. Newer stuff can be a real headache if it wants to be.

17. Wiring causes me a bit of stress. I suppose because it's not my area of expertise. The payoff is when I get done and everything works. At that point it always seems like to a minor miracle has occurred. I never really get used to it. But maybe that's just me. I'm still amazed by the wonder of flight.

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I like it as long as the front seat is missing!

Dedsoto and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. Actually, I enjoy it. I have to agree with 34 above, nicer with the seat out.

20. Gotta put on my game face and start on the wiring in my '59. The dash is out, instrument cluster cleaned of excess old wiring, everything is labeled. New windshield is going in first though and have to paint the dash as well. I have a decent kit and people around who like to do wiring.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I actually enjoy wiring generally. It allows me to exercise my brain and think problems though without having to bust my ass physically.

22. czuch az

czuch az

Chasing electrical dragons is just part of the deal.
    I had a 3 inch piece of wire that was up river from the one I had just replaced that was driving me nuts.
    The bundle of wires had fried. There was only one of three was hooked up so the OO just taped them all up together and it started and ran. I figured something was up when it smoked but didnt produce a gratifying amount of smoke.

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Wiring is real fun for me while I am doing it. It is very frustrating when a problem shows up. Then it is rewarding after hours or months of working out a problem. I am no pro, electric is still a black art to me.

I don't remember who it was but when I first joined a hamber gave me some great advice.
    Make sure you don't let the smoke get out of the wires.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  24. rfraze

rfraze

Wiring is one of the favorite services I offer at my shop. I take the seat out! Make sure you have some kind of light that provides enough illumination and WILL NOT melt or burn things.
    Use bread ties to keep bundles of wire together as you add wires. Just wrap around the bundle, without twisting, makes them easier to add to. Keeping wires together makes the job easier and less of a mess for your mind to deal with.
    Another way to bundle is to cut a larger piece of shrink tubing to run between point A and B. Position it roughly where you want it to end up, run wires thru it, and shrink it after all circuits are in.

25. I am a 94%er. Even though I was in electronics in the military and worked with my dad in his TV repair shop, I have never enjoyed wiring.

26. Until I broke down and purchased a quality wiring kit instead of making my own I dreaded/hated it but that was just a part of building hot rods.

I really don't mind it anymore. HRP

27. 54vicky

54vicky

most of the time you need a good known ground work from there I run a ground to every item I run little more time and cost of extra wire.anyone who has chased a circuit or light whatever .that they know is good when testing before installing than pulling your hair out try to figure what the hell is wrong.someone mentioned letting the smoke out.that is a sure sign you fuked up somewhere and the fun starts.contrary to the belief a fuse is not necessary soon find what fire insurance is.now you have a smoldering wire problem and your insurance agent pointing out the fine print.but I guess you can console yourself on the money you saved on the fuses.NOT

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

I enjoy it. I've wired 5 cars from scratch and have done a lot of wiring on my OT Vette. Get a power probe. Fantastic tool.

29. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one of those things that helps when you DIY because YOU know what you dun did. I wish I done my 57 myself. I did a few so far, so when I work on the car I know were stuff goes.
    It helps to know your system when you wire yourself.

Always a learning experience as I have dome different brands and a couple motorcycles.
    If it were the same harley or ford over and over again, it would be a boring thing to to.

30. lowlinc

lowlinc

I love it, I'll be doing my '50 with a Painless EFI/Chassis kit though just so its easier integration