Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring an Old School Tach

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by buzzbrother, Jan 6, 2018.

1. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

I have an old Knight 8,000 rpm tachometer. Its old, the ones that they used to sell in the catalogs. It has 4 wires out of the back. I have figured out-
    Black- GND
    Grey- LIGHT
    Purple-???
    White-???
    Dont know what Purple and White get connected to. Which one is the AC/Switch and which one is the wire to the coil?? Any help would be much appreciated!!
    Here is a link to the pic of what it is.

http://i63.tinypic.com/34dflvn.jpg

2. Purple usually goes to the coil, but don't quote me on that. :)

3. TACH-WIRING.jpg
    HERE IS A UNIVERSAL ONE
    THE KNIGHT UNIT WAS A KIT, YOU WILL HAVE TO TRUST THE PERSON THAT PUT IT TOGETHER. CANNOT FIND A SCHEMATIC FOR ONE, ONLY THE AD YOU POSTED.
    KNIGHT-KIT.jpg

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a defective Sun-Pro tachometer with the regular red/black/white/green wires. If you want me to, I can take it apart before I toss it and take a couple of pictures of where the wires connect internally on the circuit board. It's a long shot, but it may allow you to figure out which is which. Let me know if it'll help.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. mario

mario
    from millbrae

Might be of use.

eBay item number: 122532993170
    sorry, can't post the link.
    ciao,
    mario

6. cl350rr

cl350rr

I know this is an old thread but it comes up when one googles the Kinghtkit Electronic Tachometer, so might be the best place to post the connection instructions:

Note: I believe there is a typo in the white wire, it should say attach to the positive terminal.

Attached Files:

7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ Instructions describe a positive ground hookup. Diagram shows a negative ground hookup.

427 sleeper likes this.