Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring a coupe....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by convict, Feb 26, 2013.

1. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I am not great at wiring knowledge and have done 2 cars with American Autowire kits without any problems. Everything you need is included. They ARE expensive but you can save a substantial amount by getting them off of E-Bay from independent dealers.

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The safety and reliability of your project should come first. A kit is the only safe way for the inexperienced to do a quality job, IMO. Save up and get the proper kit. I wired my coupe from scratch using a generic wiring diagram, using different colored wires of the proper gage and then made my own final diagram for future reference. Good luck with your project.

3. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

If you put the battery in the trunk, consider running two solenoids. The second solenoid is mounted next to the battery. This eliminates the large gauge battery cable from being the main power feed and in the event of a short lessens the chance of a fire. There still needs to be an 8 ga. wire running from the front to the back, but that's a lot less copper to melt during a short. Mad Electrical offers a better explanation.

http://madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

4. Tacson

Tacson

Gator guess who I am going to ping when I get to this stage on my 56?? My neighbor to the North, you.:D I have an AAW Highway 15 Kit. I believe I talked with Don's Hot Rods about them as well

5. Here's another vote for Rebel 9+3. I just re-wired my roadster over the winter with one I got from Todd ( Tugmaster here on the HAMB ). 190 bucks with two extra connectors for the lights and the column mounted turn & flasher hook-ups. I used the heater circuit for the electric fan with a relay and hooked one of the 3 extras up for the fuel pump with a relay. Real easy install. And....... everything works! Horn, brake lights, flashers, turn sigs, gauges, fuel pump, fan, radio, neutral safty. When I first built the car I wired it from scratch and it cost me about $125.00. So in hindsight I should have gone with the Rebel kit the first time.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Just be sure not to leave the white smoke out of the wires.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I used Speedways 8 circuit on my model a, it was a breeze even for me and I don't get along with electrical.

8. Gator

Gator

You got it my man... just bring the '56, the wiring harness, and a bottle of Bourbon (or two :D )

Seriously though, happy to help - anytime.

9. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I'll be running minimal electrical stuff but I will be having A/C (gets hot/humid down here), a radio and probably an electric cooling fan.
    I'm a wiring hater too, and not (or because I'm not) very knowledgeable about it.
    But I count 9 circuits listed. Where are the other 3?
    Or do things like lights and motor have more than one circuit?
    There's the lack of knowledge showing again...

I did my 55 Handyman a while back with American Autowire kits. They had all the right connectors and good instructions which made it nice, but it still looks like an explosion at a psychedelic spaghetti factory under the dash.
    That's my own fault, I know.
    The 55 has room under the dash to hide it all. The coupe...well I'll have to be more careful.
    I'm interested in this kit.

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've wired several cars, did a 28 coupe with one roll of black wire, worked for me but a bitch for anyone else to work on. I have used the 6 circuit kits and they are great for a basic hotrod, color coded and marked. You can buy kits for about any number of circuits and they are easier and cheaper that building your on wiring by the time you buy the different colors of wire and terminals.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you can't remove the Rebel kit wires how are they attached in the first place? :confused::confused::confused::confused: Would this ENOS panel be a good upgrade? http://www.enoscustom.com/blackbox.html Bob

Just got back from the Rebel website, I always see new and confusing things the more I try to understand this crap. WHY are there RIGHT and LEFT hand drive wiring kits? When did electricity figure out were the steering wheel was?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. BigEd

BigEd

13. ronotron

ronotron

Can you shed a bit more light on where this is on their web page? I had a look but couldn't find anything in regards to batteries in the boot.

Cheers

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad