Register now to get rid of these ads!

wirig help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 416Ford, Jan 31, 2008.

1. 416Ford

416Ford

Trying to get my car wired and I have a 302 (Ford) with an original alternator and regulator. Have a newer starter with built in solenoid and I am using a WAYWIRE harness(can't find tech support).
    Should I be running the main power wire from the harness to the battery terminal on the starter in addition to the main charging wire from the alternator or should the main power wire be somewhere else. I believe this is the way just looking for a conformation from some else who has wire this combo.

2. 416Ford

416Ford

3. throttlein

throttlein

I used a painless and I wired the way you described. You're right on that.

4. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks, just wanted my tracking down problems later list to be a short as possible.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Personally I hate to see wires attached to the battery terminals. I always use the terminal that the pos. cable connects to...the other end. Most likely it will be the solenoid whether it's on the starter or the inner fender panel. It probably doesn't matter and others will have their ideas for why they do it their way, but I see poor planing and sloppiness with wires scabbed onto the battery terminals. JMO

6. 416Ford

416Ford

I agree with you on this Tommy. I only have the main coming off of the battery, I did not like the idea of bunching three wires together at the starter either. Can't say I have seen to many setup with three wire at the starter and this is why I questioned it.