Register now to get rid of these ads!

wireing genorator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archied1067, Feb 11, 2009.

1. archied1067

archied1067

got my car running today sounds great. just wondering if some one can help me with wireing the thing so the genorator charges the battery.its a ford 1950 two door 6 banger. thanks

2. attastude

attastude

if you are using a voltage regulator, the posts are marked with a letter. "a" for armature, "f" for field and "g" for generator. the generator is also marked with the same letters. the wires go from each post of the generator to the regulator. you have to polarize the regulator by jumping with a wire from the g lug to the a lug on the regulator. also the amp gauge reads the output from the generator. also, the ford you have is probably positive ground . might need a ground wire to the generator..

3. archied1067

archied1067

are you sure my generator terminal's say field and ground and i think the back of it is armature. i hooked it up like this ground to a body ground field to field (but not yet) and armature to armature. battery is not in yet .need to know if this is right

4. archied1067

archied1067

5. archied1067

archied1067

ok one more time it looks like every thing is working electrically i have 7 volts out of the bat. while running. and its pulling 3.2 amps on the negative.took of the battery to charge it on the charger cause the battery is a little weak still and i cant have the car running all night .when i install the battery again do i have to polarize the regulator again or is that a done deal?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Remember that car is POSITIVE ground.

7. attastude

attastude

if it doesn't charge after reinstalling the battery, you may need to repolarize the regulator. "g" post is for GEN. the ground would be a separate wire from generator mounting bolt to the chassis, if needed...it's a lot easier to change to negative ground and use a 6 volt alternator, something to think about...