Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wipers......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAUCHO, Jan 11, 2010.

1. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I live in the Pacific North West where it rains.....I want to put wipers on my car.....There's no problem hooking up an electric motor to run the stock cowl-mounted posts, it's the wiper arms and blades I need to figure out......The windshield on my chopped 41 coupe is only 9" high between the rubbers.....I thought about headlight wipers, but they're to modern for my ride.....maybe I could cut down some MG Midget arms and blades if I can make them fit the posts.....any better ideas ?...

2. bill3337

bill3337

Not sure if it would work, but my '33 Ford windshield is about that height and I use repro '33 arms and blades.....could work for you maybe......Bill

3. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

check jeep cj wipers out

4. Yea ^

Here is a pic of the adjustable ones I had. They came off another late 60's jeep and have Tricor stamped on them. The length is adjustable, as well as the angle of the blade. I took them appart and choped off about 3" of the arm so they would go shorter. I think these are an aftermarket replacement arm, but I doubt you could find them new.

[​IMG]

5. The windshield on my truck is 9"........ I bought a chrome marine wiper motor. Came complete with a chrome wiper arm. Self parking. $29.95 at my door.
    Bolt it on, Hook up two wires and go.

6. I'll half to look up a reciept but I belive it is Specialty Power that has new adjustable arms in S.S. Old origional looking and a Cut to fit blade. I will check it tomorrow for you. They worked good for me.
    The Wizzard

7. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I think the marine set-up you're talking about mounts above the windshield......mine's a cowl mount, but thanks......

8. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks guys, I'll check out the "cj" style.....

9. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

That sounds great, thanks.......

10. I mounted mine above but it can go in the cowl as well with out any issues. I originaly put mine in the cowl but ended up mounting a single wiper above the windshield just to be different.

11. uglydog56

uglydog56

Look for early (pre-67) vw beetle arms. Then you can get off the shelf blades.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Go to an 'old style' parts store, if you have any left in your area, and they should have ANCO and/or Trico wiper product catlaogs from which you can select the adjustable length arms and blades the length you need.

13. Weasel

Weasel

I got a pair of those at a NAPA store in 2006 - may be worth checking.... or do a search on the internet for adjustable wiper arms.

14. Check these guys out. www.specialtypowerwindows.com Click on accessories then wiper arms and blades. I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years and very happy with there products. I would compare there blades and arms to Anco or Trico any day. They look like O.E. parts and work just as well. The other thing I like about dealing with them is there sale's people actually know what they are talking about and it's in English.
    The Wizzard

15. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ are all the same P/N.

16. tinmann

tinmann

Rain X.............

17. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

An orange cut in half. (LOL)

18. old beet

old beet

PM Eric VAPHEAD on here. He used to sell some real short wipers at Vintage Auto.

19. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks for all the options guys.....I think I've got lots to choose from here........

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yup, drove my 64 el camino as a daily like that through most of a winter

21. phat rat

phat rat

Do you have the stock arms? If so you're set. Look for the rivet where the two pieces join. Cut/punch whatever the rivet out, shorten the flat stock arm as much as necessary drill a new hole in the piece you cut and put a new rivet in. Mines lasted for 13 years that way. But I seldom use the wipers as I like RainX

22. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Been driving my Plymouth for years with the Ole Rain X and no wipers....actually thru some pretty good T-storms....kinda fun and can see very good.

23. humpie

humpie

i used speciality electric wiper kit on a 48 anglia.also used stock holes for wiper attachments.you have to cut and fit an alum. tube for the worm gear after you mount the motor.but after that your home free because you can buy arms and blades that fit your car:)

24. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks guys.....that's all good advice.....I can sort this out now.....