Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiper Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Aug 18, 2012.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I have been fixing all of the nagging issues on my 53 Buick this summer.
    I now have defrosters, I will soon have a heater again etc... It makes more sense to do these things in the summer rather than in the winter...
    The wipers have been non functional....I use rain ex and well it never really rains in Colorado... So I spent some time under the dash, my wipers are vacuum driven by a pump on the fuel pump. I fixed the line from the vacuum pump to the wipers...no sweat... I discovered the control knob for the wipers is mechanical in nature...There is a wire inside it that moves when you turn the switch on the dash... The damn thing is not connected to the wiper assembly. I have a shop manual from 1952 for the Buick and it is cryptic at best. Where does this line from the switch to the assembly connect? Any ideas? Tryin to keep this car original. It is still 6v and I would like to get this working like it should.

2. i am not sure about how the 53 buick switch works, but there are wipers that are controlled by a cable with a solid wire. if you look at the motor there should be a slide valve that the cable would operate.

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Sounds like mine. I will continue to dig around under the dash and find where it hooks up.

4. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

It's all good. I got the wipers working and the defroster motor up and running. Next I will be getting the underseat blower functional and then fixing the heater cores. Seems weird to do this in August, but I'd rather get heat, defroster and wipers before winter hits. Working in the driveway in the cold really sucks.