Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winters Modified Quick Change Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wrench666, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Wrench666

Wrench666

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I am but not with the full floating hubs. I got 9in brake and bearings, also Detroit locker in a model a. It is kinda big though also heavy but it is a quick change and is tough as nails.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Wrench666

Wrench666

Okay cool wondering if it would work for drag racing and street use

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I know your looking at price but for all around versatility/street and drag you would be happier with the Winters Steel belled champ rear which is good to over 800 HP. I have sold several with good results 2870.00 with axles and spur gears. They are almost indestructible. They are also available with aluminum bells and straight axle tubes for 200 less.

5. Wrench666

Wrench666

Thanks good to know. Not sure what way we are going yet I like the qc but the 9inch is an option too

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Winters has a giant selection of quick changes and parts. That is where Speedway gets them.

www.wintersperformance.com

You will want something with a street style locking differential and passenger car style brakes. You can buy them complete or piece by piece. Also, hit the search for quick change info, you will find more than you need.

Good luck, -Abone.

Wrench666 likes this.
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a used Winters magnesium case and bells with an ebay gear type differential, new Winters tubes and axles with 9in passenger car brakes. I built it myself under 1500 bucks and it works bitchn'.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Shadow Creek, akoutlaw and Wrench666 like this.
  8. Wrench666

Wrench666

Thankyou
    Abone. I will look into it.
    I do like the qc look and it will fit the look of the T much better

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Don't think you would be happy with the aluminum spool in a drag situation. We swapped them out about every 70 nights on dirt late models. Splines would be pretty worn. Those were 700-750 HP engines. The center section is the same as the late models used but with GN type axle snouts instead of W-5 we used. I would look into a Quick Trac, Gold Trac, Velvet Touch (lots of maintenance on that one) or a locker instead of a spool. Several type of differentials out there that work great. You can also get full steel spools that are stronger than the aluminum spools are.
    SPark

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I've got a Winters, "Championship Heavy Duty" in my 54 Stude Wagon. Mounted to Chevy Truck arms.
    Not drag raced yet, but a bunch trouble free street miles. To be raced hopefully in the not too distant future.

[​IMG]

Mike

classiccarjack likes this.
  11. Wrench666

Wrench666

Thanks for the feedback guys
    I guess i will really have to do my homework.

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry to be late to the party. Krylon32 and I both are dealers for Winters. He is right on with his recommendation. Abone is also right. You can build a QC from used parts or a mix of new and used.

The expensive piece is the differential. I wouldn't run a spool on the street. If you are going to drag it a lot, a locker will work well. If you drive it mostly on the street, you will be happier with a 'Track'.

LMI4, I would bet that an aluminum spool would last longer in a drag car than dirt oval with the same horsepower. You guys beat the hell out of stuff with the 'on and off the throttle' routine. Combine that with the varying traction conditions and you have a pretty torturous situation. I was the QC guy for an asphalt car, and we NEVER had trouble with the aluminum spools. We did switch to a differential but not because we had spool problem.

Wrench666, If you decide to build your own, let me know. When I saw Ontario I thought you might be close, but you are a ways North of me.

classiccarjack likes this.