Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winter's here. Do you heat your shop? How?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 Hound, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 5w32

5w32

Radiant hot water heat infloor, the best for keeping even heat floor to ceiling and low operating cost. Ive had it for 11 yrs with no problems

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. hoodprop

hoodprop

patio heater and a torpedo both have a 20 lb propane heat it up quick and kill the torpedo. stays warm. its michigan and it gets cold

3. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Free oil furnace.....700 gallons of free oil too. Got hooked up with an oil distributor and when someone installs a heat pump I get all that bad environmentaly hazardous oil off their property, 55F all the time keeps thing from rusting here where it rains more than 100" annually. A wood stove for backup keeps the exercise program going.

4. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

When I turned 60 I built a new shop. Put another double door in the back of the two car garage and added on another 44 X 28 shop with full bath, kitchen, etc. Also installed forced air gas heat and air conditioning. 1,808 sq feet of finished perfect space. No need to ever go in the house again.

5. silversink

silversink

NBW----nothing but wood, double 55gal barrel stove 30x60 shop. From 0- 75 in about 2 hours.

6. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

So. Cal,,,,don't need it :-D

7. Wood stove in a well insulated 22'x32' shop, have never paid for wood as there's always old/dead local trees needing cleaned up.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Detached garage is 30X50, partitioned off. Heat the 30X30 side with an oil furnace. No way in hell can I keep it heated all the time though. Only heat it when I'm out there doing something. Had a forced air wood burner years ago. Got a deal on the furnace, oil was about 85 cents a gallon back then... seemed like a good move at the time.

9. 2800 sq feet shop north of Fargo:mad:
    used oil IN A 350 GAL FIREPOT SOUNDS JUST LIKE A FRENCH FRYER:D GOT A FURNACE BLOWER GOING INTO THE OUTER JACKET:p
    give it a little wood to keep coals in it to gets over 80 degress sometime but make the paint dry quick!!!:rolleyes:

10. 3000 sq foot shop 300,000 BTU salamander hooked up to a thermostat. Keeps it toasty enough to work in a flannel on our cold 40 degree nights weve had. Not well insulated, cinder block walls and 5 big single pain windows. Goal is to keep the pipes from freezing when were not there and warm enough to work in a sweatshirt in the dead of winter when we are. It's a newer unit, runs on diesel, doesn't smell too bad, I know no painting while its running, have plenty of fire extingueshers around the place. Best bang for the buck for us..

11. propane, 250,000 btu reznor suspended heater

12. grabrr

grabrr

I'm a furnace guy, so I have a forced air furnace in my garage.

13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Natural gas heater hung up in the down wind corner.My shop in very air tight and completely insulated.What really helped me with costs is a fan blowing in opposite corner ,hanging,and a gizzy in the vent pipe that closes up when not on except for a quarter size hole for pilot light fumes.After I put that in my bill went way way down.And my wife is happier about it!!I also find if I keep it at around 50 the concrete floor doesn,t get cold which when cold never really would heat up and kept the place cold.Winter sucks but I have 12 years yet till I retire and get the hell out of this state!!!

14. Gerg

Gerg

wood burner... which i am running right now to get some late night work done.

15. RatPin

RatPin

I've got a big residential propane powered furnace with 100 lb tank. That will generally last me 40-50 hours with thermostat set to 60 degrees. Shop is about 30'x75'. Shop is not very insulated at all.

You can see the duct work in this picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. I have water-heater supplied in-floor heat using glycol. When the pad was poured I dug down around it and used sheet insulation shrouded with galvanized metal to keep the heat in. Works great!! It was initially a closed system with a bleeder valve at the highest point, but air locks continually stopped the pump. A neighbour smarter than I suggested removing the bleeder and replacing it with a container (I used a small tupperware tub) - problem solved! If I ever need to top up the glycol I just add through the tub. Seems the air needed constant bleeding due to the pumping, so now it bleeds off to the container. Who knew?

Dave

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  17. F&J

F&J

What type of bleeder? Was it an automatic type, or manual? I use an automatic type, I think it's called an air scoop. works perfect on a closed system.

18. It was an automatic bleeder and I had no end of trouble -- good riddance to it! I have had no further trouble since I eliminated it 5 winters ago.. :)

Dave

19. F&J Why do you need a closed system?

Dave

20. A 45,000btu natural gas reznor unit ceiling hung. It's on a thermostat so when I'm not in there it stay about 40F I turn it up when I'm working away to whatever 15C is in F. I'm Canadian so only so good with the Fahrenheit conversions! All I know is it gets toasty and stays toasty without much effort even below -30C. Insulated really well.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Damn, it's 81* here today... I got one patio heater for the one week it gets cold here..

22. rustang

rustang

I fire up the modine in the shop..couple hours it goes from cold to t-shirt weather......

Hard to believe that 20 years ago I was working in an old, very small, un-insulated horse barn with a gravel floor, with no electricity and the only lights I had were battery powered camping lanterns.... I would work at night in the winter out there laying under my car and truck in the dirt with the snow blowing under the side slide door.....the good old days... lol

23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

240V electric wall-mount garage heater. I keep the shop at 50F (approx 10C) all winter and turn up the heat a bit only when I'm out there working. It's a well-insulated 20 x 22 and it doesn't cost much to heat at all.

24. I put on more clothes. A good pair of long underwear helps.

25. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Was thinking the same thing here in the western Maine mtns!

26. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Just open the 10 x 10 roll up door and let Florida mother nature in. Eat your heart out!!!

27. F&J

F&J

I need a closed pressurized system because the wood boiler water mixes with the oil boiler water in the house system.

It does not use a water-to-water heat exchanger like an outdoor wood boiler does, so a closed system keeps the boilers from internally rotting out(from what I read)

EDIT: Those air scoops have a small knurled bleeder cap at the top, with a small weep hole drilled in the side. The average person like me, would assume it needs to be finger tight. It needs to be left open 1/2 turn to be able to self bleed the air. I actually read the directions:eek:, and did not know that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I heated mine up by moving from Mi. to Az.

29. Thermal long undies for now, but I scored a free wood stove so hopefully that'll go in before the real hardcore winter hits.

30. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I've got a 220 electric heater (that someone gave me, new) that I hung in the corner of the ceiling. It has a fan in it and blows right over my work space. I was out there last light bolting on my rechromed front bumper.