Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winter Storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 27, 2011.

1. So I will be storing my mild custom for the winter soon. I have had mice problems before, so I was just wondering what you guys do for criters. Should I use moth balls or somehing like that. I already got some treatment for my gas, just wondering about keeping animals out. I will be storing it either tomorrow or the next day. Any help would greaty be appreciated!!!! Thanks guys:cool:

2. dexleo2

dexleo2

I use dyer sheets in my cars when I store them in my machine shed for the winter. Seems to work.

3. I use mothballs under the car and in the engine compartment. Also duct tape off the exhaust so the critters can't get in there. Mice also don't Like Irish Spring soap smell.

4. i think putting it in a really cold building will help keep em out they want warm and comfy
    doing a experiment putting a infested truck in a really cold shed:cool:

5. AntiBling

AntiBling

I can't remember what they're called, think they are just called "mouse-out" or something, but they are a small cloth bag with somethings in it. You can get them at implement dealers, people up here use them all the time for their combines and they work.

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I just keep um movin seems to work for me

7. funk 49

funk 49

If you can wait, do it after a real hard freeze. The critters will have already found a new home for most of the time. Dryer sheets seem to work well, while I have found moth balls don't work as good as they used to.

8. Jay.S

Jay.S

Dryer sheets don"t work for me, when I did that I found mouse sh*t on them! maybe jack stands? That"s what I use...

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is the dryer sheet thread when you need it??!!

On second thoughts maybe the mice are the safer bet on that thread!!

Doc.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Get yourself a bad ass winterized cat !

11. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

During the winter I set a couple of mouse traps under my car and one on the floorboard. I run my trapline daily before the little varmits begin to stink.

12. gtkane

gtkane

How about dumping out the cat box under the car. My neighbor swears by this, and says the cat odour keeps them away. Makes sense to me.

13. Thanks guys! I am going to go out today to buy some Irish Spring Soap and Dryer Sheets. Maybe a couple moth balls under the car. Also the duct tape is a good idea. Maybe some mouse traps under the car as well.

I will be in college 5 1/2 houres away and don't have a regular car so I am hoping my '56 will be okay. I am also getting a used crappy set of junkyard tires so my Bias Plys wont get flat spots, and a car cover.

14. I bought a car bubble
    and the mice chewed the zipper before I could get the car in it

15. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Put the car up on jack stands to avoid the flat spots, Keep you hood popped. Mice like dark enclosed spaces.

16. Lemme get this straight. You're saying the mouse wiped his ass on your dryer sheets?
    I put steelwool in the tails (old timer told me it keeps critters out, it seems to.) and moth balls in the wifes old nylons go into the car on the floor. I havent had any problems yet, and I've been putting the car up for 8 yrs. now.

17. Ole don

Ole don

For a long sleep, run the motor about 2000 RPM's and slowly pour ATF or Marvel oil down the carb untill it smokes out the exhaust, then increase the pour rate untill the motor dies. If its stored in a cold climate, park it on a tarp, and put it up on stands. Remove the battery, and use moth balls in the tail pipes, under the hood, under the car, and one where your feet go in all four positions inside. Make sure the anti freeze is good. Dont use a car cover if an everyday car will ever sit next to it. Salt fumes will get under the car cover and ruin the chrome, (been there, done that).

18. I got a set of wheels off a 1992 Crown Victoria today. I hope they will fit. Just put some 6.70-15s on my car now so I don't want flat spots. Hopefully the new Crown Vic wheels will fit.

It is a one car garage so there will be no other cars. I just don't want the people living here touching it which is why I am going to get a car cover.