Register now to get rid of these ads!

WINTER PROJECT: The Merc that everyone told me to throw away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacKid, Feb 4, 2009.

1. krag4201

krag4201

Youse a bad muda fuka, that Mercury is already looking good I had a Cadillac coupe with a 390 those are strong engines.

2. glassguy

glassguy

whats the scoop man?? hows it coming??

3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

AMAZING ,

Good work......

I'm stunned ,its going to be a beautiful car and you should be proud.

Most people won't believe what you started with.

Heres a computer PAT ON THE BACK...

pat ! pat ! pat !

4. that is freaking amazing man!! Great work and keep the pics coming!!! It makes me think that my project is possible!!

5. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Well, as far as an update goes, I bought a house fellas...it was in about the same shape as the Merc...long story short, me and my future brother in law spent all summer (April till now) working on the house, so I haven't touched the Merc since April...ready to get back on her with a vengeance! I'll keep ya'll updated....

6. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay...it's been a long time in the running, but here it is as it sits right now fellas...behold the Merc in her current state! It came a very long way in the past 6 months...and I'll put up more pics very soon...

Attached Files:

7. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

Wow! Job well done!...How about a shot from the front.

8. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

KOOL. Looking good.

9. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks guys! I'll try to get up a front shot tomorrow...on my Windows phone right now, so I unfortunately can't upload from it...

10. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

Job well done !

11. Rear looks COOL. I have pics on my HTC EVO directly load to my Photobucket, not hard to set up.

How about some side pics, looks like I need to lower my 4x4. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  12. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Bump for the day shift :)

13. Sweet ride Steve.:cool: Can't wait to see it in person.

14. Smokey2

Smokey2

Remember !!!!
    Don't THROW ANYTHING AWAY !!!!!!! Specially "A MERC "

Yeah, Git NEW FRIENDS !

Smoke'

15. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Are you freakin' kidding me. Totally solid!!

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

17. reece

reece
    from NC

I wasn't onboard with the Packard fins initially....but damn. It looks good!

18. Don't know about doofie (that's a fantastic regional expression!), but then again, I'm a coward and more of a traditionalist. But to borrow an expression from Howard Mohr's book, How to Talk Minnesotan, I'd say it's different.

Godspeed to him.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

damn i dig the packard fins and the way the car sits cant wait for a few more pics ,

20. afaulk

afaulk

sumbitch....................way cool.

21. Totally Slick! Great job my friend...

22. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

More pics :)

Attached Files:

23. Looks great, hope to see it in person some day.

24. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay, so here's some pics of the prorgession from the until now...in these shots I had the one piece front end lined up with the car and was patching the inner structure of the fenders themselves...

Attached Files:

25. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I lost my sweet little dog during this build...he was a pure bred Pug...super awesome dog and I still miss the hell out of him...he was 2 years old and got out of the shop on January 7th...out in the country, 6pm...dark out...He thought we were playing and he was just too damned fast...There were 3 of us trying to catch him when he started running down the street. I ran after him but I just wasn't fast enough and he got hit by a car...poor little guy died in my arms and I made 6 cars and an 18 wheeler lock up their brakes...I wasn't leaving that road without my dog.

Well, he used to crawl into the car while I worked on it, so there were doggie footprints all over in the car and I didn't want to touch it at all after he was gone because he wasn't around to put more prints in the car, you know? He used to put up with all of the welding and grinding on the car, so I wanted him to have the first ride...So I loaded up the gun and clear coated his paw prints into the floor pan of the car :) Now he doesn't just get the first ride...he gets every ride :) His name was Diesel...and I still love him very much...so these pics are for him.

Attached Files:

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Damn, that really sucks about your dog. :( Any of us who are animal lovers know how it hurts when one of the dies. I've been through it a few times and it never gets any better. I still choke up when I look at pictures of the cats I have lost when they just got too old to go any further.

Only consolation is that you gave him a great, loving home and he loved you back. Sorry for your loss.

Don

27. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks Don...I'm just thankful for the time that I had with him...he was always happy! And he went doing what he loved the most...running and playing! :)

28. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay, so these are the pics I took right after painting everything underneath on the car with Chassis Saver paint...did the inside of the rear quarters, inside the front fenders, and the entire bottom of the car, including the frame and front rails...

Attached Files:

29. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay, so I decided to smooth off the firewall...there were some rather large holes in it from the factory heater and such...so I cut the factory bead edges off of them and welded them shut with some fresh 18 gauge steel :) Once the holes were welded up I ground the welds flush and began the filler work...

Attached Files: