Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winter Project, Jalopy Jim builds a custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Jim, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Here is what I have been working on this winter:
    [​IMG]

Where the project was at the beginnng of this year
    [​IMG]
    by fall I have installed: floorboards, seats, seat belts, brake- clutch pedal, master cylnder, and clutch cylnder
    [​IMG]
    After trying to make a custom box out of two stock boxes, I gave up as I was not happy with the results.
    I had a sheet metal shop make sides out of 16ga. and brake a 13/16 lip at a 45degree angle to fasten the bed roll. The design was designed on my CAD program..
    I also purchased 2 cut to size 4-1/8rd. tubing, and a big pile of 1-1/2" sq tubing.
    [​IMG]

next I marked the 3/16" holes 2" O.C. for the plug welds

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using the weld seam on the 4-1/8" tube and the brake line on the sides the tube was clamped for plug welding, welded, and the weld ground smooth.
    [​IMG]
    One tube welded and some grinding done.
    [​IMG]
    Stake pocket cut from 1-1/2" sq. tubing, fit to the tube, and staggered 3/16" plug holes drilled.

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

[​IMG]
    One side done now to make the opposite side, make sure the extended tube is on the right end.
    [​IMG]
    now the hard part, the floor frame. After some carfull measurements the 1-1/2" sq. tubing was cut with 45degree cuts and welded to make the floor frame. Also great care was taken to make sure it was square ( with in 1/16" diaagonal) and level to the floor. Then it was final welded.
    [​IMG]
    Next the store bought front panel was modified to fit the new bed rail, and then plug welded to the first side.
    [​IMG]
    next the floor frame was clamped to the bedside/front and rechecked for square. then welded into place. Then the other bedside was welded to the bed assembley.
    And yes both bed sides had the extended bed rail to the back.

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

[​IMG]
    then measurments fot the cross members were taken from the old bed and the crossmembers were welded in.
    [​IMG]
    next the end caps for the bed rails were made and welded in ( not I have only done one side yet). The fender holes were drilled using the old bed for a pattern.

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

:DThat 16 gauge gonna' be stout enough?????

Looks good!

6. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

[​IMG]
    the store roll pan is trial fitted.
    [​IMG]
    At the fall Metalmeet the front valance was releived of its, headlight bumps, grill bumps, and radiator depression. The using a bid steel bench the remains were straighted, and braced.[​IMG]
    then a filler peice was cut and welded in. note there is no warpage it sits flat on the bench. this project took only 2 days work in someone elses shop.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Next;
    The other bed rail needs to be caped.
    The 1950 Pontiac tail lights have to be fitted.
    The box then set on the frame and frame mounts made from 1/8" thick angle and 1/8" bar stock.
    Then I will be building a floating tailgate( no visable latches or chains )
    The front fenders get seam filled after that along with the hood.

If I'm lucky I'll be painting in April.

For the record I am a self employed furniture maker, and have never seriously welded or done metal work before. I want to thank the HAMB and Metalmeet for the help given for I would have never tackled this work 3 years ago.

sincerly
    Jalopy Jim

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Excellent work! Can't wait to see updates!

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Hey Jim, it's looking great! If you're planning on working a full day anytime soon and need a pair of hands, call me...I'll gladly drive up and help out and bring whatever equipment you need me to...I'm unemployed again, so any day works for me...I wanna volunteer and get my hands dirty again, it's been almost 6 months since working on anything and it's driving me nuts...

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

11. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Big milestone today:

I finished caping the bedrails after straighting out the damage caused on the side I droped.
    Drilled the mounting holes for the other fender.
    Set the box on the 54F100 chassis.
    Monday I will drive down to Minneapolis and get the metal needed to make the box mounts.
    Level the pickup un the floor so all four wheels set at the same plane.
    fill all four tires with the same pressure .
    And then start making the box mounts starting at the front.

going to take Mrs Jalopy out this afternoon evening so have a good rest of the weekend.

Jim H