Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wing window glass too wide ...help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Oct 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

installing new glass in my 40 ford , i have one wing window that had to be a screw up ,it is 1/16 too wide ,raising door glass to close side window hits edge of wing window ...i have no clearance side to side to adjust .... natuary it is assemble ....what can sand edge of glass ? any help greatly appreciated , Jack

2. squirrel

squirrel

Did you compare it to the glass on the other side? Is it seated all the way in the channel?

If indeed it's a screw up, get the guy who made it to fix the problem. Or take it to a local glass shop and have them sand it down, be prepared to spend a few bucks though.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When I built my 32 sedan one side was different than the other side, the car had never been hit hard but the window openings were different. I had a guy cut glass from original templates and he lived six hours from our place so the wife and I had made plans to have a get away weekend and drive up to get the glass. Long story short when I went to install one side fit and rolled up and down flawlessly, the other side wouldn't fit in the hole. My fix was to use my belt sander with a stack of worn out belts and my young son armed with a spray bottle of water. It took about 20 minutes to take about 1/8" off the end.
    Sorry for the rambling story.

Budget36 and squirrel like this.
  4. Your local glass shop will most likely have a water fed belt sander that they can remove the excess glass. HRP

olscrounger likes this.

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yep. I did exactly the same thing with both side windows in my Model T coupe. I took off 1/8" about 24" long.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

common on 40's mark it and take to glass shop -they can sand it down--have done many