Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Everything you said, and not only that if it went down as the OP stated it is ILLEGAL.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

read what hotrodladycrusr wrote. finally pics of Merc in question. yep, not my cup of tea. understand why Gene, and others judging, would like it. but, need more details on the whole process of juging, etc at this show. lucky I have never had a car ever in a judging situation and I prefer that.

3. I still remain undecided and would hope these allegations are not true , but, I dunno ... I just don't find your words assuring.

Seems explanation backed by fact would be the answer ... and as mentioned earlier the issue is not WHICH car won but more like HOW it won .... glossy PR shots just seem to be "smoke and mirrors" and cloud the real issue.

4. I dig those crazy hubcaps, Gene told me he bought them from a chariot junk yard in the 1st century AD, says they were autographed buy Ben Hur to

5. wowwy

wowwy
    BANNED
    from california

Is this how show promoters get the big names to come to their show? BIG money prize that the "judge" splits with the "winner"? If this is the case, then it pays very well to sell some fuzzy dice.....

6. 4psi

4psi

If I had quite accurate information that questioned anybodies ethics I would most defiantly speak up for myself in person. I wouldn't ask why I didn't win, but I would ask him if he felt like everyone got a fair shake knowing what your secrete sources have told you. I don't think its ethically right to mention a guy by his name and call him a scam with out at least giving them a chance to explain their side of the story to me in person...maybe I am crazy. Your truck looks good anyways. Congrats on the win.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure looks to be a contender for a prize albeit not my cup of tea...

8. as far as i'm concerned, that thing is butt ugly, but i can see why winfield might like it. from a 'points' standpoint, its a freaking knock-out.

i run a small local show every year. year 1 i was involved in judging, year 2 i had nothing to so with it, year three i acted as a tie breaker on a couple of categories.

this year, best of show went to a friend, customer and HAMB member. why? because his el camino is freaking awesome. was it because he is a friend, customer and HAMBer? NO. its because the other judges thought it was freaking awesome.

another friend and customer won another award. why? because his riviera is probably the sexiest thing in town. no other reason.

I can see why the winfield pick didn't go to the truck. its not his speed. nice truck, but not his speed. neither are some of the other 6. that hudson is gorgeous, and i'd give a body part for that 58 el camino. like seriously. and although i don't have any real affinity for that merc, i get it.

for crying out loud, just because you don't like the pick doesn't make winfield a crook.

9. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

You wouldn't get registration on that Merc thing down here,the doors are to short,and I can't believe Mr Winfield likes it,but it's all been said before,''if we were all the same,life would be pretty boring!

10. If you store someone's car in your garage for the summer I'd think your more than just casual friends. If you then judge a show for $10,000.00 first place and that "friends" car is in it and you pick him to win, that's one hell of a storage fee. Some on here seem too close to Bob and Gene to be un-biased. I know neither, but I've judged car shows and have excused myself from judging cars who's owners I've known. It seemed like only the right thing to do. This would have cured this situation.

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Gene - Stand up guy. MANY friends, all over the world. LIVES to be involved with the custom car world. You can tell within moments of meeting him that he's made of the good stuff - his only vice is admiring the fairer gender:). There are dozens of threads here on the HAMB full of hundreds of HAMBrs saying exactly this.

You didn't talk to him directly, but came here to the internet to slag an 80+ year old who BUILDS more cars per year than nearly everyone on the HAMB tonight put together??????

It must be a scam coz Gene picked a Merc??????

When you've built a tenth of what he has, you also can decide what YOU like (if you're the only judge), at your twelth car show this month.....

The rest is the kind of drama which reminds me that Glee is about to start, so I'd better go......

pffffft....the HAMB's been going downhill since Buddy Holly died.

Go post a frikkin build thread.

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

I can almost hear Paulie Walnuts telling the Merc owner.."The builder of this Merc says your the winner...so your the winner.So shut the fuck up bubba..!!"

13. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

No matter how this winds up, there is no way the whole truth will be heard. we all respect Gene for what he has done for the custom car world. no matter what your relationship is with him, if your great friends with him like Denise, or just met him at a show and talked to him for a minute, I admit, you gotta love the guy. as far as him being a merc guy? that's no secret either. but if that's the case, why didnt they just have 6 mercs up there? now can somebody put up some "glamor shots" of the other cars?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  14. killer-D

killer-D

The Gold merc that was the winner was a old Larry kramer( spelling ?)piece,is owned by Bob"shaboom" Fryz.

15. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

apparently not.......

16. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

this is not disrespect. its just a question of ethics.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You talk big. I won't address the issue raised in this thread, 'cause I don't know anything about it. But I know one thing...the OP has posted a build thread, and built a pretty cool truck. Have you? I don't think so. I do see that you started a thread to ask what's the nicest cherry red color though.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,Gene is an icon to many hot rodders so being critical is a slippery slope.

19. spiker

spiker

Whew! I've just posted a thread with a 1:11 minute video of Syracuse. I took some footage of the six. Enjoy ?

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

mo money, mo money

21. ratster

ratster

I heard that Bob donated the 10k to a charity.

22. badshifter

badshifter

Nice.
    I love these threads.

23. draider

draider
    from Texas

I heard that Charity gave the best lapdances at The Sugar Shack...

24. Without pics it never happened.

25. That's it I'm only using Mothers from now on.
    -Pat

26. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

See, that is why someone needs to ask the sponsor for clarification on this whole mess. They probably thought they were helping out not helping create a mess. I know this is probably said with tongue firmly in cheek but this is how problems start for companies.

27. After plowing through this entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that I dislike car-show drama, and sadly, too many people are more into hero-worship than ethics and integrity.

I don't care if he has built more cars than I have, been a judge at more car shows than I have, older than I am, or whatever. If he did what the OP of this thread is claiming, then the man did something that is ethically wrong. I don't care if the money went to charity, that's not the point. When you're the sole judge and you have a financial or personal relationship with one of the contestants who just so happens to win the $10,000 prize, something is fishy.

In order to make this thread worthwhile, we need to hear the other side of the story, either from the winner of the 10K, or from Winfield himself. So far, all I have heard from that side is how great of a guy he is and how signficant he is to the hobby. That does nothing to substantiate this issue. Facts will answer this better than any character reference can.

28. Austin Bubbletop

Austin Bubbletop
    from Austin, TX

lmao! :d

29. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'm guessing Mr. Winfield isn't a member here.

Not from lack of response to this thread but from the continual lack of response to his annual birthday thread.

Which doesn't seem to make much sense if he isn't going to read it.

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.