Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

like i said earlier. i was just happy to be indoors. not that it was much cooler in there. my info is quite accurate without naming anyone else involved. and really? would you go up to Gene and ask why you didn't win? I'm not upset that i didn't win. I'm just questioning the ethics of a guy who has been there since the beginning and should know better than to do something like this. they also probably thought nobody would ever call them out on this.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. This is what I do after being to some car shows across the U.S. that ended up being the same way. Its not only a inside crowd for the cars but for the people as well. You have certian groups of hot rod people that band together and seperate themselves from the rest of the show by haveing a prefered parking area and you can feel the elitest attitude from that group as well. It makes it really bad when you drive 1100 miles one way for the entire weekend and see this happening. The same thing happens here on the HAMB with certain people when they all hit the same show.

3. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Maybe before the judging, the guy offered to give Winfield a $5,000 ride home. ;)

Just kidding.

4. Saxxon

Saxxon

Met Winfield at a show 2 years ago and was incredibly disappointed. He was standing behind a table selling some of the cheapest crap I have ever seen. Door lock skulls, cheap fuzzy dice, bad plastic valve stem covers... it was horrible. He had little or nothing good to say and really looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. He blew off a ton of fans for autographs... unless you were a cute girl then he had time for you.

I was really disappointed

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

And the winners name was?

Seems in 5 pages it has not been disclosed as yet...

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Perhaps a call to the public relations folks at Meguiar's (sp?) to inquire how this award is to be handled may be justified. It is after all their name that is getting dragged through this drama whether they like it or not. Perhaps they are not aware of how this award is being handled.

Sounds a bit shifty to me but perhaps a few questions to those involved would clear up what has clearly turned into a negative for them and all involved. Just my opinion.

7. cosmic12

cosmic12

Good idea! Anyone know anybody that works for them?

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

I wonder if Barry is one of those guys that keeps smiling when he is pissed off...

That's all I have to offer to enrichen this Thread.

Well...I've got one more...

And that is that "gullwing doors" that hinge off the driprail area look even more retarded than Lambo doors...

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Barry is not smiling he is just breaking wind!!!!!!

I agree those GULL WING doors are brutal, but Gene liked em.

10. I meet Gene on Saturday and had a nice conversation I hope this is a misunderstanding......

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

i disagree, the poor management and sneaky business with prize money should told. it look bad for winfiled and meguires wax

12. honestly that merc looks like the type of car I would expect a builder like gene to pic and I bet he could care less what any body else thinks.The story does sound sketchy.

13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Well Bruce, this has surely opened a "can of worms" !
    Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them, and most of them stink!
    Gene may have just used "bad Judgment" in his pick.
    I think your truck is a winner where ever you take it!
    Of course that only my "opinion"
    Your good taste, and hard work made for a Great looking Rod!
    KK

14. Monk67

Monk67
    from St. Louis

'Dagmars'........funny, haven't heard that one in a while.

chopt........your ride is pretty cool......great color scheme

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, theres a perfectly legitimate explanation, for all this, and its staring us all right in the face. Maybe the REAL grand prize is " A night with Gene." :eek::p Ok, ok! Geez! Cant you guys take a joke??!!:p

16. Torchie

Torchie

I really must be bored as I read all 133 posts and am now responding.
    The bottom line of this whole thing is that somebody the OP and many of us here on the HAMB respected apparently turned out to be like lots of other people, including the biggest custom boogie man of all Mr Barris.
    I know it's hard to find out that there isn't any Santa Claus but really people. It's time to grow up......

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Just met with Jesse Ventura about this "conspiracy" and the possibility of him investigating it.

He informed me that without a fade paint job on the Mercury it'd be impossible to prove any wrongdoing.

Then Winfield walked up, asked him if he was ready to go, and they strolled off into the sunset.

18. F&J

F&J

I feel the same way.....but i was not there to see or hear otherwise.

It really does look like his taste..if that makes any sense.

19. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

was the Hudson the one built on rescue and restore or what ever the name of that tv show is. Maybe Gene is a real dick and we all just look at him like he is a god. Chances are that I'm wrong but it's just a thought. That gold thing both sucks and blows.

20. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

And don't forget Gene got his check to be there

21. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I think a congressional hearing is in order..........

"Did you scam these guys at the car show?"

"I don't remember"

"Did you split the $$ with your pal?"

"I plead the 5th"

" OK, thats good enough for us, hearing adjourned!!"

I took my beater coupe for the first time to a ice cream stand cruise in and won the pick of the night. It was because I was the only car there that had never won before....

22. I just read all this crap and I forgot I was on the HAMB.:confused: I thought I was reading People Magazine:eek:

Lets go for a ride:cool:

23. wowwy

wowwy
    BANNED
    from california

Let the diaster continue.............

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if Gene had picked the car that everyone agreed was best, it still wouldn't be right if, in fact, he had a relationship with the owner.

25. Mojo

Mojo

People talk about how hideous the old 50's and 60's customs were... these modern cars are far worse. That gold merc is a crappy, tedious design. Gulwing doors.. seriously? The brown lincoln literally looks like a polished turd. Sloppy curves, and no idea of form.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its really baffling that most of the guys posting on here dont grasp that the car itself, Genes taste, and whether the OP's car was chosen as the winner has NOTHING to do with the subject of this thread. Its real simple, if you are judging a show, and one of the cars belongs to the guy you rode in with, that car is OUT OF CONTENTION. Full stop, end of sentence. ESPECIALLY if CASH is involved! But most of the guys on here dont seem to agree with that. I dont know, maybe my sense of ethics is out-dated.
    I remember having a conversation with a co-worker about this. We are in a business where the potential for fraud is huge, and we would frequently see people getting away with it. He commented to me that most of the people we saw committing fraud were a lot wealthier than we were, and maybe WE were the stupid ones. Gotta wonder if maybe he wasnt right.

I'm still kinda hoping someone is going to show up with a valid explanation why this isnt what it looks like, and I am guessing thats why this thread is still open.

27. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Most shows that I've ever been to display so much "home cookin" when it comes to awarding trophies and most don't even try to hide it. I understand that it's cool to be recognized and validated and all that, and I'll be the first to admit it's never been my thing. I'd rather be riding around killin bugs with my Deuce, but that's just me.

Hell I was happy to pick up a $3.00 "People's Choice" trophy at a cruise-in at a local sports bar last year. My 10 year old nephew however was elated. Seeing the reaction from him was worth a million bucks to me.

28. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Well hell heres my two cents worth. Pretty simple not like the old days at the smaller shows. Now it works like this hey you boys come to our show give us the entry money, have a nice time. See yea.

There are still a few good shows left. Sad thing i remember when everyone use to go to the park on sunday and cruise and have a ball for free.
    Foot

29. seatex

seatex

Damn, this thread makes my head hurt. I've met Mr. Winfield a couple of times and always found him to be gracious. Hope it ain't true, but if it went the way it was described, it's just plain wrong.
    Next years show will probably be interesting.....................

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rest assured no scam was pulled. Gene is a stand up guy. Once again, there were many judges involved.

WRONG, the guy with the Merc lives in Dearborn Michigan, NOT California AND Gene likes his own room as Gene likes the ladies....enough said.

Bob Fryz

Here are more photos of the Merc, including the VERY detailed engine compartment and undercarriage. It may not be alot of folks cup of tea BUT it is a nicely executed custom with attention to detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.