Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Winfield carb thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsprinter, Jan 12, 2018.

1. oldsprinter

oldsprinter
    from texas

Trying to identify intermediate and high needles on a Winfield 0-620 D. Winfield calls the Model N "non-standard for race cars". No indication of which needle is which on the castings. Assuming this is something like the M Models, the needle on top is the idle since it controls air like the M's. The other 2 needles are on the bottom. The spray tube is a tube within a tube with one needle feeding the inner tube and the other feeding the outer tube.

Which is high and which is intermediate?

Is anyone running one of these willing to count their turns and save this poor boy a lot of frustration?

What are the 2 screws in the bottom of the choke bell for? One shows in the pic, the other is about 90 degrees from it. I can't find anything in the Winfield parts info that would go there.

Any help is greatly appreciated! rsz_rarb.jpg rsz_floatbody.jpg rsz_spraytube.jpg

2. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

I've had 2 of these Winfields. One I ran on my overhead cam Fronty sprint car. The other is still sitting on the bench waiting for me to finish a '26 t 4 banger with stroked crank hi comp pistons and a SR Fronty head. Going in a banger 1912 speedster.

For the bad news, I bought the sprint car finished, it started and ran strong I never had to adjust anything. I believe the 2 screws on the bottom of the choke bell are to hold the Winfield air cleaner. Other than that I can't offer any help.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree the two screws on the bottom hold the cast aluminum ball silencer / air cleaner. Bob

4. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

There were variations of the Model N, including adjustable and fixed jet versions. The adjustable versions adjusted from up top, I believe your's is a modified fixed jet version. The early rectangular N float bowl was marked as to which needle is intermediate and which is high, and I assume the location is the same on the late bowl. DSC05671.JPG DSC04853_2.jpg

The37Kid likes this.