Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield carb parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aztecgold, Jan 29, 2012.

1. aztecgold

aztecgold

Bought a box of Winfield carb parts today. There's not much on these carbs aside from the 'S' type units. From what I've found on the net, they were an all aftermarket deal, and many dirt oval/midget guys ran them.

What all do I have here?

[​IMG]

2. aztecgold

aztecgold

I couldn't find any images on the net of these. Anybody know what they are? They're Winfield also.

[​IMG]

3. aztecgold

aztecgold

4. KK500

KK500

Side draft carbs...........like u said........prewar dirt/oval.

If you end-up with extra parts, pls let me know.
    Jim

banjeaux bob likes this.

5. Don't know about the secind pic, but you have some helpful parts there. Not enough to make a carb, but things that could help someone with a bad float bowl or body.

With the models, an SU would be an updraft, SD a down draft, etc.

Those two airhorns will also make someone happy- they tend to be missing. There are a couple guys on the banger thread that are looking for one!

6. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I found this brochure in a 1912 Horseless Age Magazine.

Attached Files:

7. aztecgold

aztecgold

Wow! Horseless age. Funny to think of that now.

The guy who owned these was a pioneer in Southern California hot rodding, and participated in just about every form of auto racing, including dirt oval, so some of the stuff is from the inception of the sport.

Anybody know what the carb tops are in the second pic?

8. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Ed Winfield made a carb after the S and SR models that was a 2-barrel. I know very little about them, except he sold very few of these. This was about the time Stromberg came out with their 97, etc. The 1st pic shows only 1 "S" bowl and 3 throats plus some unknown to me pieces. A serial # will show S-U or D-a letter showing size, A thru D. U is updraft, D is downdraft and cannot be interchanged.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great find, thanks for posting the photos! Welcome to the HAMB!

banjeaux bob likes this.
  10. aztecgold

aztecgold

All of the carbs say Winfield Model S on the body.

Two of the throats have the serial number 'SER.-SC' on the side followed by a 4 digit numeral. The third has a smaller inside bore and has the 'SER.-SB' on the side with a numeral.

It amazes me this was the pinnacle of carburetion technology for a time. We've come light years from then.

11. Might as well be the first to ask. If they are for sale I'd be interested in the SB throat as well as the S bowl if its a SD one. Also if the chokes are S-41-B those too.

12. RussTee

RussTee

Have been searching for two air horns (Contains choke ) for SR carbs if anyone has some

13. aztecgold

aztecgold

One of the ears on the SB bowl to throat is broken off, so its probably not fixable, the choke is an S-41-A model. The other horn is for the larger 'S', and it has a extension pipe leaded on. It could be unleaded, but probably would never be perfect.

14. Yup, I'd be interested in an SB and SC throat!

15. argonracer

argonracer

Anybody have cross adaptors for sale to convert 2 SR B downdrafts into side drafts?

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I knew you would chime in!