Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield aluminum '50 Mercury body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skyrodder, Feb 28, 2008.

1. skyrodder

skyrodder

an article at this web page says that Gene is thinking about working with a company that is considering bringing out an aluminum '50 Mercury body. what do you guys think? i am already considering getting a glass merc some day, but would aluminum be better?

http://www.partsandpeople.com/article/1677/

2. slim53

slim53

I heard the glass cars leave a lot to be desired but an aluminum one rock. That would be a sweet winter car...:D

slim

3. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Winfield is one of my all time heroes-

From the article:
    "He appeared on several episodes of "Monster Garage" and said he is working with shop Owner Rich Evans to film a series called "Building with the Best" that they hope to sell to a network. "It's real people doing things without all of the arguments," he said of the show."

Man, I hope someone picks that show up...

As for the aluminum bodies...well...hmmm. I guess it's a step up from fiberglass...still out of my price range either way. I'd rather cut away rust and patch metal than plop down more than 10 large for a car body that never actually rolled out of a factory in 1951 in the first place, but I'm not a goldchainer. :D

From the article:

"People ask me when I'm going to retire, and I tell them, 'When they put me in the ground. When my hands and feet don't work anymore,'" he said.

Cool guy-

4. hell bent

hell bent

that was great ,aluminum body would be fine better a glass

5. autobilly

autobilly

MercMan1951, interesting about "Building with the best". I totally agree with your take on aluminum Merc. bodies, couldn't have put it any better myself.

6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i think it would be neat to have one polished out like the copper 40 ford or willys that was at one of the big shows last year. the flame job was etched into the metal really a sweet car!! it was in Rod and Custom or Street Rodder.

7. Most lakely the same folks who are building/importing aluminum Cobras and 40 Willeys coupes from Poland.

8. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

customize it and it will last forever. Would like to see it

9. crapshoot

crapshoot

that would be one spendy car every seen the price of aluminum. sure it would be better than glass. but who the fuck could afford one. dam i need to get rich! this being poor really cramps my style.

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

'given my brush with those who tried to build Cobra bodies from
    aluminum, here in SoCal and failed seriously, I'm wonderin' jus'
    where he'll find a market? An aluminum Cobra body is a very, very
    tough sell, even for those who can afford one. I don't see, even the
    plastic Mercury bodies ,finding a big market given the work necessary
    to make a vehicle out of them. The market for steel '32-'33-'34
    Ford bodies is a very tight one, as well. There just isn't that big a
    market for what really is just a 100K kit car.

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

its not like there not out there for the taking...seen a merc recently for sale a few times and the seller had listed " would love to sell and build for the customer had ideas in the 150k to 300k price range!! i thought that was neat.. you know, i love mercs but i think if i had the cash i would still chase down an original