Register now to get rid of these ads!

windwing clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harpboys4, Mar 20, 2009.

1. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I have been searching for someone that sells the old windwing clamps that were used in the 20s.The were threaded on one end to screw into the windshield frame and the glass windwing was clamped between to cast pieces of metal.Anyone know of someplace to get these?

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Macs carries the reproduction 32 style.

3. bct

bct

i got mine from macs... they need to be tuned from poor threading and cheap ass bolts...but if you are like ,me they will get you going...i do envy a friend who has two peices of bent plexi, he can have em off and on in seconds and they move more wind...but not to pleasing to look at

4. Tommy beat me to it.

Here's a pic anyway.
    [​IMG]

Vintique makes them and I believe I got mine at CW Moss.

I recommend you use Lexan (trade name for polycarbonate) instead of glass.
    You can find it at Home Depot.

When you run the stock size 32 glass, cold weather will have it sliding down the clamps.

No probs with the lightweight Lexan and the ones shown in the pic are about 2/3 the width of the stock size 32 glass.
    They shunt the wind aside just as good as the larger ones.

I made a pair of Lexan WWs same size as the 32 and they worked well, but the ones shown allow much easier ingress and egress when the top is on.

Hard to see, but I replaced the chrome plated slot head 1/4-20 machine screws with stainless allen bolts.

The WWs shown are over ten years old and get cleaned with car wash soap and water when the car is washed.

Only scratch in them is where some clown scraped it with something to test if it was glass - when I wasn't looking....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009

5. Squablow

Squablow

These things were stuck on my Model T when I got it and I always figured they were some random interior visor bracket from the 50's. The guy who owned my T before had all kinds of random shit stuck on there for a LONG time.

Are these OG 32 Ford pieces? Are they worth anything?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Thank you those look like what i am after.I have them on my 28 Packard towncar with glass wws that have been engraved.The WWs out of lexan sounds good but can they be etched?Thanks to all for the pictures and info.

7. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I think Speedway sells ones too.