Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Windshield parts, what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1931modela, Jun 29, 2014.

1. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Hey guys im trying to put the windshield in my 31 model a coupe. I have a frame and this piece. This piece fits on the car on the header but my windshield wont slide in it on the car or off the car.. What am i missing? Where can i get it? Thanks ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404049867.199301.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The photo looks like the hinge.

It attaches to the top of the windshield frame and the header.

They can be difficult so you may need to get it started and use a rubber mallet to tap the slides together.

BTW,,I would be best to have a extra set of hands. HRP

3. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I tried to tap it together on the bench and it just stopped and i could barely get it back apart. If you say thats the hinge i may have to open up the groove a bit. Can i slide the windshield on and off with the visor on? Thanks

4. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Do these slide together? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404052434.455561.jpg

5. flthd31

flthd31

It can be a bitchy job. Both pieces have to be pretty straight. I wouldn't recommend trying to hammer it on. Try to get it as straight as you can without collapsing the tunnels. Then slide some sandpaper in the tunnels inside and out. It should eventually slide on there.
    No, you will not be able to slide the windshield on and off with the visor installed. In fact, with the visor off, the rain gutters are still in the way. To remove the windshield, you have to unscrew that hinge from the header. Here a few pics how to orientate the hinge. Mine is a cheap aluminum aftermarket piece.

30-31 hinge_033.jpg

30-31 hinge_036.jpg 30-31 hinge_037.jpg

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah like was said, clean the crap out of it and make sure it's straight. It will go together.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When they were new... I bought a '30 Model A coupe in 1957 that the elderly gent had removed the windshield, header, visor, and hinge. Windshield glass was broken, he had it replaced by a glass shop (Santa Clara)
    The car was like new...virtually rust free. Wood header was 'soft', my friend's Dad was a custom woodworker, whittled me a new one out of ash, helped me refit the top.

Amazing thing was the fit of the hinge: light coat of marine grease (boat trailer axle type) and it slipped right in.
    Model A windshield hinges I have dealt with since were abominable. Rusty surfaces made them akin to trying to slide an iron pickle thru a crevice that a slippery weeny had occupied...

8. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Thanks for the pics and info. With some cleaning and persuasion (sp?) i got it done. The pickle analogy was hilarious!! U guys rock!

9. I guess I just assumed you would clean and lubricate the channel so I didn't mention it,

I see you got it so that's all that matters. HRP

10. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Like they said, clean it. I used sand paper. Lube it and make it slide in and out at will but not too loose.