Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Windshield measurements for chopped '54 Vicky

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dixiesickboy, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Dixiesickboy

Dixiesickboy

My club and I have chopped my '54 Vicky 3" and I'm wondering the best way to measure the windshield opening for custom glass. Really want to get those measurements correct!
    Also, anyone know of a thread on "cutting" down windshield glass for a chopped car?
    I'll do it myself if it's not too risky but I may just order custom glass. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

leadsled likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What you do, is you cut the glass. Then, cut the car to match.

3. BJR

BJR

As said, you did it ass backwards. You can't bend glass, so you cut the glass and make the frame fit it, not the other way around. There are lots of chopped 50's cars unfinished, knocking around without windshields for that very reason. When it came time to cut the glass it didn't fit cuz the curve was off after taking the cut off of the top. With that said best of luck and hope you can get it finished.

4. Look up Bernies custom glass. If he's not local to you, he might be able to answer some questions.

Dixiesickboy likes this.

5. Dixiesickboy

Dixiesickboy

That would have been a great idea, except that I broke my old glass and my "new" roof is from a Lincoln (wider). So we're gonna have to reverse engineer a bit.

RICH B and 302GMC like this.
  6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

where would anyone get glass this way? Could a fiberglass templant be made and have the glass made to the template? A few years ago I saw someone advertising can't remember where

Dixiesickboy likes this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm working on a very similar situation. I don't have all the necessary info yet, but here's what I do know.
    There were two windshields on 52-54 models. A tall one 17 1/4 in tall, and a short one 15 9/16 tall.
    I'm not sure yet how much room the gasket takes up, but I've ordered one to check it out. Everything depends on how much room the gasket takes, and how flexible it is. If you're lucky, the short glass may fit your opening. If you are not lucky, start cutting some old laminated glass for practice. You'll need it!

Dixiesickboy likes this.
  8. 15 9/16 is real close to what you have. Bonnie Blue nice!

Dixiesickboy likes this.
  9. 53Dave

53Dave

This. I learned that the hard way on my first chop. Had to cut the freshly painted car apart and make things work.
    For patterns, I use a thin cardboard, like cereal box type cardboard. Get it in big sheets from work.

For cutting the glass, I use a sandblaster with black slag media (coal slag maybe). Tape off cut with duct tape (couple of layers). When it's cut, take a 3" sanding disc and smooth things out as needed.

Dixiesickboy likes this.
  10. Dixiesickboy

Dixiesickboy

Thanks 53Dave. Good advice. I'll be making a template soon.

11. Dixiesickboy

Dixiesickboy

Thanks Chaz. We measured the opening yesterday (around 13") and it seems clear that the shorter windshield would be the one to get. The great thing is that there isn't much curve in a '54 Vicky windshield at all.

12. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

good luck hope it goes well had a couple chopped 52-54 ford.mercs, personally I think the lincoln roof is more work than its worth, but will look good just looks similar to the stock roof, would love to do a 55/56 ford like the that crushed

13. Be sure to come back and tell us your backwards engineering experiences..