Register now to get rid of these ads!

windshield horror story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatBone, Apr 9, 2007.

1. RatBone

RatBone

Well I spent this weekend putting in the glass in my 38 chevy coupe. Got the back window and 2 little sidelites in no problem everything going good. I had the one piece V windshield and started putting it in but it was too wide. So I sanded down each side of the glass and sanded down the outside rubber. Got it a little closer , took it out and sanded more. It started to go in and was just about there. I gave it a little tap and CRACK! Right across the whole thing. I just about threw up. What a bummer. Money right down the toilet.:(

Well I called the glass guy and was to embarrased to tell him what I did so I just ordered the two piece windshield glass. I was wrapping up the order, had already given my visa # and the guy asked why I didn't order the windshield when I ordered the rest of the glass so I told him what I did. He said he appreciated me not BSing him and trying to say that it was wrong or broke in shipping. And then tells me hes sending the new glass no charge! No ups or anything!

Its pretty rare nowadays for a vendor to to something like that. My jaw is still on the floor. It was Bobs Auto Glass in Oregon, if you need glass give this guy a call.

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

That'll be someone to remember. I'd rather pay a bit more and deal with people like this than save a few bucks and wind up taking it in the ass. I remember putting 3, yes count'em 3, Ford 460 motors in a guy's truck when I was working for my dad. The company who built'em is now defunct here in Tulsa, but it was something minor each time that caused the problem. We wound up (on the 3rd engine) cleaning it completly out several times to get the leftover hot tank sludge out, replaced all of the freeze plugs, and triple checked all of their measurments and clearances and still found issues and errors. Fixed and polished it all up, dropped it in, and its still on the road to this day.

3. 47bob

47bob

I feel your pain. I finally got my windshield installed after breaking two. Although i'm using a two piece windshield it's still a close fit and a real bitch. I discovered that one can not use any kind of metal tools to do this. The only thing I used was a nylon comb between the glass and rubber and the heel of my hand for pounding. Oh and lots of dishwashing liquid for slickening. .....Bob

4. RatBone

RatBone

yep I had lots of dishwashing liquid on it and just used the heel of my hand. I tapped so lightly I actually couldnt believe it broke. You see these glass installers using mallets and stuff, they make it look easy.

Ill be treating the new one like an eggshell!

5. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

I think Bob's just got my business for my glass. Sound like good people.

Tucker

6. phat rat

phat rat

For a little aid ask your local glass place if they have any of the nylon/plastic glass tools. They work great for prying or working the rubber and no scratching anything.

7. Big Ford

Big Ford
    from Washington

I need new glass im jelouse

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I hate to hear you broke it but I been there.
    I have dealt with our local glass shop that was recommended to me.
    It seems the old timer doesnt do the work anymore and passed the company down to two idiots. I had to go back to them with problems scratches etc.
    Whats this guys info?
    IM looking at cutting my own glass instead of dealing with shotty work.

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I am fortunate, my glass shop is 3 blocks away, real nice people. <table style="width: 43px; height: 18px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#8ec63f">
    </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <!-- MAIN //-->Southtown Glass
    11219 Hickman Mills Dr Kansas City, MO 64134
    816 - 765 - 1793

10. RatBone

RatBone

its Bobs Classic Auto Glass

do a search on Evilbay for 1938 Chevrolet glass and you'll see him

real stand up guy and he didn't even have to be!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AHH! I've done this too with my 35 coupe! Fresh glass. Right from the shop. It was cut just slightly too large for the frame. My buddy and I were doing a late night thrash to get it together to get it to the exhaust shop in the morning and this poor guy ended up being the one handling the windshield. When the two halves came together there was only about 3/16" to go to slide the two halves together and he go out the rubber mallet. One tap and POP! All the way across! The glass is still in the frame today and he also still feels horrible about to this day! On the flip side though, we broke the door glass too just slamming the doors! LOL! Crap quality glass from a local shop. Never bothered to go back for replacement crap quality glass.

Good story! There's a few good people left in this world. Glad it worked out for you! :)

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Bob is a great guy, and I was very pleased with teh glass we got from him... and at a great price. Gotta love the HAMB!

http://bobsclassicautoglass.com/

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well, all's well that ends well! At least they took care of you. I just cracked the fresh-cut rear glass for my '34 pickup. One little stupid glop of weld that I didn't notice on the seating surface. When I tightened it down it split. Doh! Back to the glass shop!

14. 348tripower

348tripower

The Eastwood Company!!!!!
    They have them and we used them on the windshiled of my Stude. What a life saving little piece of plastic.
    Don

15. RatBone

RatBone

I have a little plastic tool coming along with the glass setting tape I ordered from a place in LA.

Man, talk about taking the sting out of a mistake. You know ,when you hate yourself a little.

16. phat rat

phat rat

Thanks Don, when I wrote that I couldn't remember Eastwoods name. Oldtimers disease. I also have their plastic pry set. But my originals I got from my local glass shop.

17. Retrorod

Retrorod

Ah yes, the pro glass guys make it look easy but you still have to learn where to hit it and how hard! I got my start many moons ago in a glass shop......I broke a few just learning. It's been so long now I'd have to re-train....Ha, NOT.

Glad yer getting handled!!

18. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

You don't need to go to Ebay, Bob is an Alliance Vendor. I got my windshield from him and just ordered custom door glass for my '39. Great to work with...likes HAMBers! That's all I'm waiting for to get the '39 to Dewey!!

J.

19. I thought I heard some swearing last weekend, now I know what it was.

20. Ratbone,
    I've been doing glass in old cars since 1965 and have talked with Bob on several occasions and agree he is a nice guy, I know he told you to grind the pinch weld in the center before trying to install a one piece windshield. I personally don't care for the look of the one piece because of the distortion in the center and the unnatural look. but I've installed many.
    Before you put the gasket on the new glass, put some tape on the glass to protect it. lay it in the opening and you can see how much you need to grind before the glass lays flat in the opening.
    with a V-butt the glass lays flat on both sides. the one piece have a curve in the center rather than a crease. so the center is a pressure point.
    there are several factory windshields that were converted to one piece that fit much better in some cars. but not worth the trouble now that there whipping these new units out in china. they really do fit with a little modifacation to the pinch weld. I have one resto shop that cut out about 8 inches of the pinchweld and shaped a new one to match the glass. lot of exrta work but sure does fit nice

21. mortecai

mortecai

I have a 61 ranchero we painted it and had all of the windows in except for the rear window. When I went to get the car to bring it home it wouldn't start so I had a tow truck buddy of mine pick it up. It was a ramp truck so he just hooked on and wenched it up with the back to front of truck. Yep when he got to speed the pressure in the cab popped the windshield out it gouged a large hole in the hood and hit another car. Good thing my insurance covered it all. My buddy would have but hey he tows for me free so i couldn't blame it totally on him. We all learned something that day.

22. RatBone

RatBone

thanks for the info! I am putting in a stock 2 piece now. The back and sides went in easy so I'm sticking to stock.

23. belair

belair

Screwdrivers and hammers are just perfect for ruining your glass install project. I called Bob yesterday about a 57 ranch wagon windshield. He was VERY helpful, does the HAMB right. I don't know if he'll be able to help me or not, but he sure was trying.

24. strawberry

strawberry

has anyone here installed a one piece windshield in a 46 ford..should I use urethane or a gasket ,its just an 'ol hotrod so either way doesn't matter.. been doing this stuff for years but somehow this is a new one to me, always did the rubber with the 2 halves you know, easy stuff"", but this thing looks to be a challenge it fits all the way over the lip like a glue in ..or maybe theres a special rubber don't know , any ideas thanks

25. phukinartie

phukinartie

I did one in a 46 mercury get a rubber gasket type an be careful

26. strawberry

strawberry

yeah thats the problem I already have the windshield and had it for awhile( couple yrs.).. just now getting around to replacing it, when you put it in the opening it lays on the pinchweld all around as if to glue in ( I didn't know there were two types of the onepiece),so is there a special gasket ?? the old half glass's fit inside the pinchweld for use with a gasket,you have to hold them or they fall thru the opening (i removed them they did fit good but one was cracked the rubber was old etc,) sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread just need a little help figuring this one out,:eek:

27. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I've broken about 6 pcs in my days. I leaned how to cut the Lami glass,,that saves some. I can't help but thinking some of the newest windshield gaskets are foreign made and tolerances are varied.