Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods windshield help PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I love the original two piece windshields. It's just gives these vehicles the look. V-butts take me back to the 80-90 streetrod hype.

chopper99 likes this.
  2. V-butted glass is very much traditional; spend a bit of time on Kustomrama, you'll see lots of famous examples. It started appearing in the early 50s, mostly in California (I would guess because rain wasn't a big concern.. LOL). Barris it did to a bunch of cars, but he wasn't the only builder doing it.

3. As an ex-autoglass guy, I did a lot of V-butts in the 80's. I slightly beveled the butted edges on the inside, so there wouldn't be 1/8 - 1/4" gap in the middle (like a lot I saw at the time). I got the gap down to a 1/16". I would put 1/16" setting blocks in the gasket to keep the gap uniform. Then I would seal the gasket with Essex primerless urethane, so when cured, the glass wouldn't shift around. To finish, a nice tiny bead of clear silicone on the gap.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

man that looks GOOD how much are you chopped 3 or 4