Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Windshield frame for my 27

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Dec 14, 2018.

1. trollst

trollst

So....want to lower the frame on my windshield, but by the time I get it here the kit from speedway is $1000, and thats not gonna happen. So before I cut the stock posts, any ideas from you brainiacs? I have a spare set of posts, so cutting up a set isn't a concern. Thinking about using the bottom frame with no top rail, only the glass sticking above the frame with a round contour matching the body line. Ideas? DSC07207.JPG

Attached Files:

2. bct

bct

that's the way it has been done since they came out.
    take the top portion off and go for a spin and see if the height suits you . if not then I can let you know how I made one from aluminium and a table saw and sell the bits you don't need. then cut the posts to the height you can live with.
    I would be happy to help with the frame if you want to do some horse trading. if you are selling the car just cut away. the buyer wont be bothered by all the wind till he is long past your drive way

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I cut down my stock posts to suit the Speedway Mr. Roadster frame that’s 4" chopped, then sent everything out for chroming.
    Its a nice height for wind and bugs and allows me to still run a top.
    C16DB8AF-1E4E-42BC-9F03-542DC46DF466.jpeg 05816195-7700-4326-9482-6C45EA0461F1.jpeg D5DCD164-5983-441E-A6AC-86AAB715B358.jpeg F78B98B1-C8B2-4B43-BC26-9834DFC10992.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    dana barlow, alanp561 and catdad49 like this.
  4. [​IMG]

These are cast bronze posts that duplicate what you’re planning to do. I’ve fitted a crossbar made from a 25mm aluminium round bar to tie the posts together.

They are wrapped in masking tape to protect the chrome because I routed out the channel for the rubber seal to take the glass directly.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.

5. bct

bct

Paul and Bondo Slinger like this.
  6. trollst

trollst

Thanks Garrett, got something in mind? I am gonna cut the posts, Blue one, I may go that height, but I figure if I add 1 1/2 to the glass, I should just look over it, and that should be enough to keep the wind out of my eyes. If not, I'll cut the seat, I already sit on the stock seat pan. And yes, the car is still for sale......

7. bct

bct

cut the posts last. determine height first?
    speed way windshield is great for a confused $treet rod but for a hot rod look it needs to be shorter.
    honestly it wouldn't take more than a couple hours to build one in aluminium but I think the bottom half with the nice curve is your best bet . what about your top? will you have the headroom with the full chop?

8. bct

bct

btw I also have stock slot tube if you want to add on your existing lower half...

9. trollst

trollst

I think I'll just eliminate the top half, increase the height of the bottom by 1 1/2 and no frame across the top. The top of the glass will follow the contour of the cowl, with a nice gentle arc for looks. My top will be history, I built it cause I thought I should, but it never looked right, too tall, maybe, at speed it made a lot of noise inside, just an experiment that didn't work.
    Still looking for more ideas though before I make any cuts. Gotta see my glass guy before I do anything else, he's gone till next thursday.
    BCT, you got snow? I got none, pretty weird for here, +4 right now, should be-7, its nice, but not good for fire season next year.

catdad49 likes this.
  10. bct

bct

Moved back home to Osoyoos this summer. The massive amounts of snow we got in the shuswap last year was the kicker. I was up trinity last weekend not a lick of snow. Last year at Christmas. ..4 feet. Let me know if I can help. I will call you next time my son plays hockey in Princeton.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I went with the height that I did because my buddy here in Edmonton has the same windshield on his T and I have ridden in his car many times over the years leading up to my own build.

I also sit down pretty much on the floor My seat pads are 4” thick.

I wanted to sit behind my windshield and then be able to run a top too.

Any lower and I wouldn’t be able to have the top.
    I sat in the car and Rod Tops built the top accordingly.
    Just enough head room. I’m 5’10”.

So, apparently my car is less of a hot rod because of it. o_O :confused:
    I don’t think so.
    I like it.
    My buddies car and my top.
    Those pictures were taken in Rod Tops shop in Michigan.

51360AAF-4204-4896-A9E2-516B6FFF322B.jpeg 500FABD2-3D33-4607-A116-46769C43DC76.jpeg DA1174AF-C670-442D-96A6-64433A0DE4D7.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. trollst

trollst

250-295-3818 I'm mostly home, I work when the phone rings, for a guy only when he can't be two places at once. Sometimes lots, sometimes not at all. Glad to hear you're in osoyoos, we're close.
    Blue, thats gonna be a great car, keep an eye out for my old 23, quarter elliptics with shackles at the back, tube with four bar up front, milled round aluminum stock windshield frame, ugly as sin.
    Yes, penticton is nice, get your ass out here when you retire.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, I like your car too, I think it’s going to look good with a shorter windshield.

You might be able to keep the top modified if you want.
    Not sure where we might land in retirement, originally had thought of Vancouver Island but not so sure on that now.
    The Okanagan is nice to be sure.
    Might be nice to stay inland.
    I spent a lot of time around the the big lake in my younger years.

14. trollst

trollst

Think about it, there's a lot going on around here.

Blue One likes this.
  15. Maybe it's just me; but it seems like a roadster windshield frame should be flat and have a frame on the top edge, like Blue's.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blue One likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What part of that paradise do you call home?
    It’s beautiful all over out there.

17. trollst

trollst

I live just outside princeton toward keremeos on the old hedley road. Beautiful country, not as hot as osoyoos, a bit cooler in winter. Cheap to live here, 3 hours to the coast, 1 hour to penticton, or merritt, 2 hours to kamloops or kelowna, pretty central, country attitude, you don't bother me, I don't bother you. Been here ten years, love the place.

Blue One likes this.
  18. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

trollst and bct like this.
  19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

20. trollst

trollst

Yep paul, something like that, thanks for the pic, I think thats gonna be the look. Yours too bondo, looks a little more hot rod than I've got.

21. I think Paul and I pretty much have the same thing going on. I did the lower half of a speedway frame and chopped the stock posts accordingly. I sit pretty low in my car and I'm 5'8" so it works for me. Might not work for every application.

trollst and RICH B like this.
  22. trollst

trollst

Paul, how tall is the glass? Bondo, could you measure yours? I like the look, just trying to determine if there's a difference and how that will suit me. Today is pattern day, large cereal boxes being used up......

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

measured from top of dash rail to top of glass at center is right at 11"

24. trollst

trollst

Thanks, one of my patterns is 10'', it looks the best, made the posts today, now wait for my glass guy. DSC07250.JPG DSC07251.JPG

Jet96 likes this.
  25. How is that for visibility? High enough? You could raise it higher then the frame and curve the top if you wanted more protection from the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good, at that height your top is history for sure.
    Hope you don’t get bugs or small rocks embedded in your forehead ;)

You’ll know if you like it or not once you get some miles on it.

27. trollst

trollst

Looks like I'm just gonna look over it, years of motorcycles taught me that looking over it is enough to keep the wind away. The top of the glass will have an arc, I'm sure I'll like it, I'll post more when the glass gets cut in a week or two. Thanks guys for the help.

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve also ridden motorcycles for many years and I have a V4 ST1300 sport touring bike with an electric adjustable windshield.

I ‘ve been touring all over North America on it.

I prefer to ride with the screen in the full down position just looking over the top of it.

With that being said I ride with a full face helmet and visor.

More times than I can remember I’ve had small rocks and large rather hard insects bounce off the upper part of my helmet or face visor. :eek:

I even got hit by a small kamikaze sparrow that almost took me out.

Based on my 2 wheeled experience and knowing that I wouldn’t be wearing a full faced helmet in my RPU I decided I was definitely not going to be looking over my windshield.:D

Tim likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Another thing I didn’t want to have to do is drive around with a pair of those old fashioned goggles like the old airplane pilots did.

I remember seeing plenty of low windshield roadsters with those goggles hanging on the dash or on the seat.

GuyW likes this.