Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Windshield frame fab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, Mar 16, 2020.

1. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

Anybody make their own model A front window frame?
    If so do you have any pictures or details on how you did it?
    I also have thought about trying to figure out how to make a non opening window as well, some kind of built in frame work and then glue in a windshield with a nice seal.
    Any thoughts on either method?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have a 31 chrysler without a WS frame. I gathered 3 pieces of "U" channel wide enough to accept glass and a gasket. "U" pieces are going to be the upper section going left to right and also the 2 side pieces. then i was going to use two pieces of 90 deg angle, stretch them in a a shrinker/stretcher to fit curve of cowl. weld U pieces, slide glass in and then fit the bottom. wasn't going to have it open. no pics as it's in the dream stage right now.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. morac41

morac41

I made a lot of these over the years You will have to find a dealer in brass sections ..The company I dealt with has disappeared in the last few years I had dealt with them since the early '50s... They had at least 100 different profiles plus rounds..square..angle strap U section flat bar Ect...The last time I brought several different sections a few years ago was to make new quarter vent windows for my 41 Caddy convert Brass will chrome perfect
    m_IMG_4609.jpg

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I did a tech post many years ago for a roadster.. In the 1980s many guys in the streetrod scene glued in the glass with rubber molding.
    I am sure the frame can be made but with so many of them around and cheap 50 bucks or so.. you may have that in materials

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I remember an article years ago about a glued in windshield in a Model A closed car, they welded in 1/2' square steel tube around the frame work and glued in the windshield. My question is why reinvent the wheel, Model A parts are fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. New and used windshield frames are out there, the 28 - 29 are sized different than 30 -31 .

continentaljohn likes this.
  6. continentaljohn likes this.
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please do not glue the windshield in.

-Abone.

RICH B likes this.
  8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I know I sure would miss the opening window and especially on hot humid rainy days because you can crack the front window and side windows and its a nice breeze like old school A/C

RICH B likes this.