Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Windshield area body work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Apr 26, 2015.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

50 Styleline has rust the entire length of the bottom part under the windshield and a couple of inches up the sides. I know that I should be learning more about metal work but is it lazy to try and transplant from a pick and pull car for these areas. If it's not a bad idea has anyone else done this and what did you scavenge from for the curves?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Personally I would source a good donor car and replace the whole top cowl area and the exterior of the windshield posts. Where possible I would join on OEM joints. Unless OEM overlap I wouldn't do it this way but trim to suit. Lots of drilling and trimming but a far superior job when done properly. Doing this on my 46 Olds.

57JoeFoMoPar and Hnstray like this.
  3. ditto^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Depends how bad it is. This is a common rust point on later GM cars. To fix it properly you need to take out the windshield, cut out the rusted metal and weld in new metal. The new metal can be formed from sheet metal or cut out of another car. Usually it is easier just to make new pieces.

This is the sort of job that calls for expert welding and lead fill. When you are done it should last forever.

It is easier to fix with fibreglass and bondo but such repairs only last a few years tops.

5. 50styleline

50styleline

I have no experience on this and the pointers are very helpful. It took forever just to get to this point and it sucks to park her again. I know doing this requires a lot more tools and knowledge than I have but I need to start somewhere. My HB wire welder runs to hot for this so it may be a while before anything is done. Aside from all the issues, it's a freakin blast just to putt around town as she is.