Register now to get rid of these ads!

Window tint gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragster, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dragster

dragster

Any body know how the 60's gassers tinted there windows.I have a project that needs this treatment thanks.

Attached Files:

2. lorodz

lorodz

colored plexi or years ago i know some guys used somthing called spray tint ....or just get colord tint

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Lexan (Polycarbonate) only comes in clear or a smoked tint....

Pexi-glass comes in numerous colours.....

As suggested above, tint or paint with a transulent paint....

4. Gasserdriver

Gasserdriver

There is a guy on ebay who sells tint in old school colors, Lt. blue, orange, yellow etc. Search gasser.

Some say it will work on plexiglass and lexon, some say it wont.

Fred

5. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

If you go to summit they sell the colored tint way cheaper than the ebay guy.

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The pic you posted of the Chilly Willys gasser has pexi-glass side windows...

7. lorodz

lorodz

color tint straight 60's style

8. dragster

dragster

Thanks for your help , my 36 well love you all

9. oreillys has it as well in red,blue,green and yellow

10. It doesn't show up on the website. You got a link? brand? picture?
    Thanks

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They did not tint the windows in the 60s.

They used plexi-glass for windows to save weight. The same reason that they cut holes in everything. It was all about HP to weight ratio.

The first aftermarket window tinting kit that I remember was a liquid that you sprayed on the glass and let it run down the glass in a controlled run. Yeah it was PITA, messy and never worked well.

In my area colored plexi-glass windows was an instant ticket as soon as the police saw it. I did have a friend that used a very light colored green Plexi-glass in his 55 street racer to save weight but not get hassled by the cops. It was not an obvious in your face tint. He took out the window regulators too and used a vinyl strap with snaps to raise and lower the plexi-glass.

12. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

The old gassers usually used colored plexi for their
    windows - the plexi for weight savings and colored,
    just because it looked 'ciool'.

Mart3406
    ===========================================

13. They didn't tint their windows they put in tinted/colored plexiglass.

But the way I remember windows getting tinted was a paint of sorts that came in a spray can for tinting windows. It was called of all things Window Tint, you could buy it at the auto parts or from JC whittney, and at some variety stores like western auto or Wolworths.

14. 31Atudor

31Atudor

We used colored plexiglass in ours. At the 68 NHRA Nationals they made us replace it with clear. We were told it was a starter visibility issue. But then only some of the cars had this enforced. Ya gotta love tech guys. I'm sure it cost us a class win.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

go to your local chain auto parts store and get a spray bomb for painting chrome to look annodized and it comes in most colors and works pretty good just remember the more coats the darker it gets

16. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

17. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

They used spray on tint back in the day too if they weren't worried about saving weight. Helped a friend tint the windows in his 55 chevy gasser. We used green tint film. Worked great and has to be way less of a mess than the spray and less work than plexiglass that scratches very easy.

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Although spray tint was available then, as was said, colored plex(acrylic) was normally used. Today the same result could be achieved using colored film on clear. That would allow you to use Lexan(polycarbonate) rather than acrylic. The reason you would want to do that is because Lexan doesn't tend to crack like acrylic does. Some clear Lexan isn't really clear, so watch for that. For an additional charge both polycarbonate and acrylic are available with a scratch resistant coating. Finally, ubnless the plastic has the scratch resistant coating, don't clean it with anything containing ammonia. Some window cleaners contain ammonia, and over time that will make the surface cloudy.

19. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

here's the blue stuff from Summit
    [​IMG]

20. 33hotrod

33hotrod

Thats way kool! Great color blue!!!!!!!!

21. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe I just missed it, but I still don't see any orange anywhere.
    Larry T

22. Killer

Killer

If you search for amber, that'll get you into some oranges...

23. We ran Modified Production in the '60s and used the spray tint. We had to retain all glass windows and they had to work so plexiglass wasn't an option. Our windows, like a lot of our competitors ended up being really dark in an effort to hide the runs from the tint. All in all it did work pretty well and it definitely looked cool.

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn..I like this Chevy II. Had one just like it. White,straight axle,Cragars..... Rolled it over just before graduation back in 1970. Both my girlfiend and I walked away with out a scratch.
    Lucky.

I used blue plexiglass in my 55.
    [​IMG]

25. wood470

wood470

We used to use candy colors in spray cans for models.Some people said that it worked best if you flooded the glass and let it run . Sounds messy and it was. I never saw a car with all the windows done well, but sometimes you would get lucky and a few would look alright.

26. kibbie girl

kibbie girl

"Pledge" works good on Lexan... Dads been usin' it for years, and now that i have Lexan in my Poncho, i use it as well. As long as you wipe the window in the same direction all the time(up and down or side to side) and it makes for a great rain repellant!:D