Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wilton band saw questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, May 19, 2010.

1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I'm not sure Wilton is still made in the USA but it might be worth checking on.
    They used to be in Tennesee.
    I would stay away from foreign made machinery unless it is large industrial type.
    Foreign companies tend to come and go with the seasons making parts hard to come by eventually.

2. ric, they all look to be pretty similar?

3. 61bone

61bone

Enco has been serving metalworkers with good to great quality tools for years. Wilton has gone offshore, but the wilton vice purchased a couple years ago from a local farmstore has proved to be as good as any I've ever had. So I would suspiscion that if it has the wilton name it is still pretty good.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just make sure its for metal if thats what you want it for..
    i have a band saw, but it wont do shit to steel..even with the right blade..just not enough umph

5. I haven't bought anything from them in recent years but my lathe and mill are both Enco 1980's vintage and parts are still available for them from Enco. Mine were made in Taiwan and the casting and machine work are pretty good. They aren't Bridgeport quality, but the price wasn't Bridgeport range either.

6. Yes, difference is single phase, 3 phase, variable speed, non variable speed. Enco doesn't supply that info, had to go to Wilton web site.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I several pieces of both Wilton and Jet equipment and the supplier I bought them from says they are basically the same company marketing under different brand names with only minor differences in most cases. I have Jet verticle and horizontal bandsaws and a Wilton 20" floor style drill press and am very pleased with them. The saw are neither the smallest nor largest available ( I think the vert is 14" and the horiz has a 7" x 12" capacity. In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them again.

Ray

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

You should have a multi or variable speed for cutting metal. The single speed saws are for wood. That said I bought a Do-All 20" variable speed band saw circa 1970s in great shape at an auction for $600.00

Pat

9. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

Hunt the Craigslist for an Ellis horizontal bandsaw.
    Still made in the USA and you can find good used ones at reasonable prices.

10. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Thats the one, I was trying like hell to remember who bought Wilton, JET..

I also have a Wilton Drill Press, IMO it is a good machine.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That saw will do anything you need a vertical saw to do,just use the correct blade for the job. You will also find that a 4X6 horizontal saw makes a good companion. Big thick pieces just stick in the horizontal and turn it on. I have both . Most steel cutting is done with blade speeds between 50& 200 SFM , aluminum works fine at wood cutting speeds.

12. patina steve

patina steve

I have owned the 110 volt variable speed one for five years.it works great for making brackets and cutting exhaust tubing etc. As good as you can get at the price unless you find something used, it is the only vertical saw I could find that ran slow enough for steal and wasn't at least twice to three times the cost. Not a production saw but fine for the small shop or build at home hot rod guy. Any way my 2 cents. You know what they say ask 10 guys and get 11 different answers.
    Good luck on buying a saw. Watch the ENCO sale flyers they go on sale often and sometimes they have free shipping on this saw.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've got one and have done a fair amount of sawing with it. A Do-All it ain't but neither is the price! I'd love to have a big old heavy saw, but what the hell, sometimes you gotta consider cost!
    Dave

14. I was looking at the 110 volt, variable speed one. Enco is offering free shipping on it so the total price is very attractive. I think for my needs it will be fine. Thanks for your input guys.