Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WILLYS vs ESSEX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, May 6, 2018.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Were Willys and Essex frame rails the same? I'm researching for a magazine piece and struggling to find credible info. Any experts out there with personal experience? Do tell...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scotty (Jangleguy)

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Since they were made by completely different companies it seems doubtful. Have heard that Hudson (Essex) steel was the best available but don't know if it is true. Ed Iskenderian used Essex frame rails for his hot rod in 1938.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Ed_Iskenderian's_1924_Ford

When this rod was built it had what were considered the best parts like Rajo head, Franklin axle and steering box as well as the Essex frame rails. All these parts were used to build race cars in the 30s.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  3. Dwardo

Dwardo

My Hudson knowledge is all post-war but I can assure you that the rails are not the same, unless Willys for some reason bought frames from Hudson, and I have never heard that. Get in touch with the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club.

4. SR100

SR100

You didn't mention what year(s) you are comparing. If they used the same chassis, it was in the 4 cyl. era. Essex went from a four to a six in 1925. Willys made a six available in their smaller Whippet in 1927. I couldn't find a comparison for 1927, but in 1928, the Essex 6 WB was longer than the Whippet.
    upload_2018-5-7_17-16-23.png
    Good chassis photos are fairly hard to come by. Here's an overhead shot from the 1926 Essex owner's manual:
    upload_2018-5-7_17-37-10.jpeg
    A 1927 Whippet chassis:
    upload_2018-5-7_17-38-37.jpeg
    (I think this is a Whippet 6, but it might be a 4.) It's a little hard to see, but the rise over the rear axles are shaped differently and the rear springs obviously attach differently. As time went on, the Essex chassis became more like its Hudson big brother. The Whippet morphed into the Willys 77.
    I suspect that the only reason they would have ever shared a chassis is if they both bought in chassis from the same chassis maker. I haven't found any evidence that Hudson bought in Essex chassis. Willys might have.

5. Why doncha just go down to your local willys dealer and measure? Then slide over to the E-sex dealer and measure that sucker?
    BTW, good to see you posting again, Brotha Scotty.

Tman likes this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Scotty,
    Not sure if they are the same, but here is a Willys frame with modifications, out of the Bizio Truck. Good to see you are still diggin ! Bizio 3.jpg Bizio 4.jpg

7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Didn't state what year but got this one for willys. 1941-1942 Willys FrameDimensi.jpg

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Essex frame rails were the frame of choice for the dirt track race car builders in the late '20's & into the '30's. they had nice rear kick up's & could be configured as a two springer or a three springer, as in this picture.

Attached Files:

hfh and RICH B like this.
  9. sschmid

sschmid

Pete did you build the pictured car? Specifically, I am interested as what was done to narrow the Essex chassis- what sort of cross members were used? How was the rear-end kick modified? Hope I am not seeking trade secrets. Thanks.

10. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes I'm building this car
    go to this thread "Late 1920's sprint car" here on the HAMB
    It should answer some of your questions.

rod1 likes this.