Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I also got the funky headers welded up. At the moment the plan is to get the engine fired up in the truck so the future buyer can hear what he's getting but it will still need tranny rebuilt, brake system, exhaust system. I am working my way toward a good roller with a running engine then we'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. erock805

erock805

Them are killer...love the gigantic collectors! thanks for posting this thread, love to watch ya work !

3. It's funny how a truck looks so complete once the bed is on it.
    Nice work as always!

4. Really nice build Kev, something from not much to start with in most peoples eyes.

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Kev! I love the box !

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Cool that the the truck has found a new home.
    Hopefully he'll want you to finish it!
    Will be fun to see what your next project is.
    TP

7. No buyer yet, maybe I'm being over confident.

8. 52stude43

52stude43

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't think you need to worry about a buyer Kev! I'm sure they're lining up already to see if they can buy it once you're ready!

10. These are the rear fenders I started with. I have no clue what they are but they have a wedge shape looking from the end. They also have several mounting holes on the outside. I had to split them, take out a wedge shaped section and fully weld them back together. Then I had to fill all the mounting holes. I took pictures of all that but who knows where they ended up. Anyway they still need some bodywork but I think they suit the truck.

[​IMG]

I made some panels for the bottom of the bed to hide the frame a little. Bed is pretty much finished now.

[​IMG]

Tailgate is 1 1/2" tubing frame with .063 Aluminum panel riveted on. I bead rolled a Willys logo in it.

[​IMG]

I will need to raise the bed and or the suspension a little to add a little tire clearance.

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bitchin truck, tailgate looks rite

12. Muttley

Muttley

What brand are those Slicks?

13. Looking really good Kev!

14. Those slicks are the Inglewoods I usually run on my coupe for street use. They won't be going on the truck but I like the way they look.

[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  15. Muttley

Muttley

Someone needs to find those molds and reproduce them. :cool: :cool:

16. Mart

Mart

Truck looks ace, Kev, nicely proportioned.

Mart.

17. trashn'l

trashn'l

Kev,

The truck is looking good. With your building talents I don't think finding a buyer will be an issue

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Kev... I gotta admit, I'm not even a Willys or Gasser kinda guy but this thread is making me think. Let's see, such and such has a Willys cowl in his yard, so and so has a Cab back panel...

20. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

looks killer! great build!

21. Made a little more progress. I spent a day adding fiberglass to the side and back edges of the hood to fill the oversize gap. I made sure the hood doesn't look like it's going up hill like you see on a lot of the old race cars.

[​IMG]

I also made some drip rail sections to fill in the parts that are missing. I made a pattern of the shape needed then cut a piece of 2"x1/4" flat bar and sanded the edge to a more rounded shape. Then I curved the flat bar to match the pattern and cut a piece of 20g sheet metal and clamped it to the flat bar with a little hanging over the curved edge. Lastly I heated the sheet metal edge and hammered it around the flat bar.

[​IMG]

I got the drip rail sections welded on but no pics yet. Now I am in the process of taking the truck completely apart to finish welding a bunch of stuff on the chassis and the bottom of the cab. Soon I will take the cab to a friends shop. He is going to bodywork the top and back of the cab. While he is doing that I will paint the frame, etc satin black and re assemble it. I am also going to make some new ladder bars. I also need to bodywork the edges of the hood and the list goes on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love sitting in the back of your classes Kev, taking in all the "Kiwi Ingenuity". :cool:

23. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

24. ryno

ryno

Looking good,glad to see some progress.
    Happy new years!

25. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Kev !!! wow the pile of parts is looking really good. I plan on bringing you a better passengers door with in 2-3 weeks. its a good one.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Forgot to look in recently but sure glad I did, Its looking great Kev :D

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Kev is this the number on your tins ??? Rustoleum 2169 Anti-Corossion Primer Red

28. Steve, sorry for the delayed response. The primer is 7769 Rusty Metal Primer.

Here are a few pics showing the drip rail sections installed and the fiberglass added to the hood edge........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is coming apart....

[​IMG]

I finished welding the frame ( engine mts, steering box mt, ft shock mts, radiator mts cross members etc) and changed the dropped crossmember and added some tubing to tie it together a little better.

[​IMG]

It is now painted with Rustoleum semi gloss black.

[​IMG]

The chassis is back together now and rolling again. I will take a few pics this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Kev, will check and see if the numbers are the same here.

30. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Very Cool Kev. That truck is looking bad a$$.