Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Gasser build pics....from the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I figure this one's worth bringing back up, especially since the new car has been started.

2. Conder

Conder

THIS is the way a Hot Rod Willys should LOOK!!!!!

3. Tony

Tony

What a GREAT photo..be it from a camera or 8mm...it's just perfect!
    To think this is a street driven car launching like that makes it just about as good as it get's....
    Honestly, when people mention gasser's, the first image in my mind is that of a 40-41 Willys coupe, nose high with some slick's sticking out those rear fenders...pretty much exactly the way this car is set up part for part.
    You did a great job on it..
    If i'm extremely lucky, maybe someday i will have the chance to build one for myself......if i do, i will look back to these pics as reference for sure.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics for us to see..I enjoyed all of them!

Tony

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Glad to se this thread come back up too! Kev you've got to find that 8mm film and post it on youtube!!

5. I remember seeing your Willy's on the Jackson Brothers video... from that 8mm film... and video of you towing out to the drags, clownin' around!

And those pics at the drive-in... damn, those were the days.

And people bag on the 80's... shit, I had a lot of fun, cruising, street racing... and reading HRM and Car Craft.

Sam.

rod1 likes this.
  6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Damn...how did I miss this thread originally? FANTASTIC pics!! Thanks for sharing them, KK.

7. canadianzed

canadianzed

I saw this car for the first time in the late 60's and it was love at first site (Chilly Willy), this is a clone that was put together a few years ago and is/was in the Canadian Motor sport Museum. This was probably the first Willy's I had ever seen as a kid.[​IMG]

8. Wow, small world, mystery solved. I saw that from the road when I went through in there in the early 80s. Time flies. Thanks for starting this thread.

9. way cool pics kev..thanks

10. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff ! I sure miss OCIR

11. bob myers

bob myers

Occasionally I get reading a really cool thread like this one and I totally get lost in it. What I mean is, after reading it I wonder where I am and how long have I been lost, and what day is this.
    I just finished a 4 year build of a 41 glass willys with an indeendent front suspension, DOH! Am I kicking myself in the ass for no straight front axle. DAMN!

12. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i'ts never too late Bob...fire up the hot wrench and cut that ifs out!

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

Cool story ,and what an awesome car ,with a lot of history...

14. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

Cool car that is my old car I have lots of pictures of this car before it was painted and after as well as pictures of Kevins car and mine taken for his old Willys magazine.
    I still have all those magazines Kevin

15. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

I have this poster and a sweatshirt with these cars on it.

16. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

17. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

Ricky Racer what did you do with that 30 grill I sold you? This is Hank I used to own the 40 Willys for about 9 years before I sold it to Vic

18. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

I just found this old thread. Flat-out GREAT stuff. Those old pics and stories are freakin' priceless guys, thank you very much for posting!

19. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome thread man!~!

Kevin you rule

20. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I vote for the best thread ever award !
    Thanks Kev and all the rest for all the pictures and I hope it will continue !

21. Man those gassers are the shizz>>>>.

22. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Wow...This thread is Way Kool!! Huge Thanks. I have a 41 Willys Gasser coming to visit The Forney Museum where i work and after reading this thread... its like Christmas morning all over again!! :)

23. Tony

Tony

Cool this post was brought back up.
    The pics are GREAT!!
    And this time i saved them to my pc :D..
    There will be a day i build one............

24. Weasel

Weasel

Every time I search this thread I get lost for at least 20 minutes. Kiwi Kev has to be 'Keeper of the Flame' for vintage gasser photos - as well as a lot else. Another bump for an all time legendary HAMB thread.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  25. nice time capsule here, those pictures really tell a story and so do you Kev

26. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Thanks Kiwi!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

This has to be the "King of Neat Willys pics?"
    Great thread as usual!

28. grandet23

grandet23

Thanks KIWI for all the photos. This thread has caused me to consider taking a trip to the Antique Nationals in California with my uncle. I have looked at this thread 3 times in the last 2 days and I really like seeing old photos with history. What condition is the Vitamin C car now? I think with all the info this car would be a good Rodders Journal canidate.

29. 55xgasr

55xgasr

FOUND! Orange Plus Willys gasser

As some of you may have seen at the CHHR this Willys gasser has emerged after disappearing for almost 20 years after (Kiwi) Kevin Perry sold in 1991. My buddy Bill (SOLO Speed Shop) and I drove up to Gilroy, CA the week before the reunion to have a look see in person and sure enough, there it was, the real deal with a binder full of documentation dating back before Kevin owned the car. The kicker was a hand written letter that Dave McDannel wrote to the previous owner (Eric) giving the history of the car since 1964. 1938 Willys coupe purchased by Dave McDannel in 1964 from an old man that was using to display a ($5 parking) sign for his parking lot for the Sacramento fair. The car sat most of '64 till his wife kick started the project by surprising him and buying him a Kellison racing kit ('41 tilt glass front, glass doors, rear fenders, and trunk lid) for the Willys as his Christmas present (X-mas '64). Built in 1964-1967 and debuted at Lions Dragstrip in 1968 - ran a best of 9.42 @ 144mph. Raced till 1975 then stored for 7 or so years. We purchased and brought back in time to display at the CHHR. We plan on adding a few touches to the car to bring it back to it's as raced look including period correct wheels, tires, and some details. It runs great and sounds awesome. It currently has a stout 302 sbc mill with tunnel ram and dual 4's. The cam is a stout piece from Isky himself, a reverse rotation solid roller. It has a M21 4-speed, and the Olds rear with 4.56 gears.

I want to thank Kevin Perry and Vic Young for coming out on Thursday to the SOLO Speed Shop kickoff party where the Willys was reunited with Kevin for the first time in many years. It was really cool to meet both of you and to share the history of the car when you owned it. Hopefully Vic will post some pics of the reunion.

Stay tuned for more pics as we add the touches to the car that it deserves.

Attached Files:

caseyajones and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  30. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

Awesome pix thanx for sharing them!!!!!