Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ---Willys Gasser Build---Burning Rubber Back In Time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chop1UP, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Willysguy, not sure on the trans type, I will look, we have a dummy case in there right now, It has the shift levers and looks like a Muncie.

2. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Best use for a roadsign.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Hurry and paint that tunnel before the wrong eyes see it.
    Cool build here and Im sure its going to preform as well as the builders...
    Please keep em comming........

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I don't see how you can justify the expense of that Jig for a one off build.:D

.........Hey check out the Frame Jig we have build this car off of.................

[​IMG]

5. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Still working hard......
    Bending metal with what we got....

[​IMG]

Put a loop around the Heim Joints on the ladder bars incase it should break.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting started on the Glass...

[​IMG]

Working on Firewall....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your really making great progress! Say "Hi" to Gene and the Gang for us all !

7. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Looking good! Can I hire you guys?

8. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool car!!! Is the frame in grey powder coat now? Sure looks good.

9. Pudge87

Pudge87

Hows it looking on making the big show?

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

It was finished for the race. Amazing work.

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Updates please?

12. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

We got the car finished at 5:30 am April 26, the day of the race. We made it.
    Everyone worked hour after hour to get the project done. We worked nonstop the last couple of days to see that it got done. We got to the track and could not race the car due to issues with the car and the rules.... It was heart breaking to see all the hard work ending with not seeing the car go down the track, but rules are rules. We hope to get some info on what needs to be fixed on the car in order to run the next race. We will work hard to fix the gray areas and see if we can get the car down the track next time.. But the race was a great success, seeing all the old cars and smelling the racing fuel was great... The South East Gasser's put on a great show for the Fans.... Try to come to the next event in May 16-17 Union SC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures were taken by the Great DGray, Awesome Job.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what the 8 two Barrels can do.... About 200 HP............
    Click on picture to hear.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to all for keeping up... I will post when we run the car....

13. Pudge87

Pudge87

I hope yall get the car fixed to conform to the rules. There's tons of people wanting to see this car compete with the gassers. Would be a major let down to not fix it and run with them.

14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Chop1up thanks so much for understanding. But please don't let Gene be so secretive and make the same mistake twice when y'all start the rebuild. I showed him the one part of the rules that got him in all this mess, it said If you intend to run with the South East Gassers, PLEASE !!!! make any inquiries before building a car or buying parts this will save both time and money. Thank's Quain

15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Again thanks for understanding, the deal Saturday was one of the hardest things I have had to do in a long time. Here's another quote from the introduction on the first page of the rules.

Some of the cars within the South East Gassers group are actual gassers built in the 1960’s era. One of our
    main goals is to keep these cars competitive. These cars are the very reason we started this group. The
    acceptance of modern parts (coil over shocks, long wheelie bars, 4 link suspension, low riding cars, etc.) will
    cause the original cars to be noncompetitive and thus force them into changing their original cars in order to
    become competitive. The bottom line is this, we change/build our cars to mimic theirs, not force them into
    changing theirs to compete with us.

16. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Even if you take Picasso ' paint away and make him use crayons it will still be a master peace .The Man mad a name for himself thinking outside the box so hopefully this will turn a project into a challenge.Thats when it will get good.

17. ultramotive inc

ultramotive inc

Wow that Willis is amazing. I have to say the reason I am putting one of the Anglia's back together is Quain's rule set and I hope to run the car with them around my road racing schedule. The car I am doing was built in the early 60's and has not been updated since 68. The stock/boxed chassis on the Anglia is no match for the chassis on that Willys. Just my .02$

18. Some would point fingers at Quains "fabricated" frame and cry foul too, but I know for a fact, he had planned originally to use a boxed Willys frame, but every thing he found was either to far gone, or financially out of reach, so he bit his lip and made the frame rails. I whole heartedly applaud Fultons reading between the lines and building the car as he did, but I also know that Quain did not expect ANYONE, to take it to that level, (because he could have himself, and intentionally did not), and that Quain unintentionally left to many loop holes in the rules, because of this. I believe that Quain fully expected new builds to use his car as an "extreme" example, and to go no further, now Fultons car makes Quains look like a dinosaur! I also believe that Fulton had looked at Quains car several times, to know/verify that Quains build is the most that would be allowed, and remember, Quains newer build, is a coin toss at the finish line against Porters traditional chassied 55, so its not like Quain is in a class all by himself. Personally, I am up for the challenge of whooping some new builds with our old gal.
    I also applaud Quain for sticking to his guns, and having to tell to good friends, that they could NOT run their new car, that they had monumentally thrashed to complete, at the much ballyhooed season opener because of some infractions. Fulton & Bennett have done plenty of good things for Quain, and I'm sure Quain had a knot the size of Texas in his stomach when he had to deliver the bad news.
    My suggestion to Quain for the future, and possibly allowing any "modern cyl. heads, more automatic trans's, or coil over shocks, would be a stiff weight penalty, something in the neighborhood of 250+ lbs, and or running a smaller rear tire. Its Quains ball park, and we want to play too, so we'll tow the rope on the rules as well. As my good friend Forest Gump says, "that's all I have to say about that".

Frank Taylor likes this.
  19. Pudge87

Pudge87

Any updates on the gasser?

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I believe it was sold off.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

21. Pudge87

Pudge87

Hope whoever bought it makes it fit the rules.

Quain Stott likes this.
  22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The man that bought the car said he would take $65,000 complete with an open bill of sale from Fulton and the last time it was run Gene was the Driver. I offered him $22,000 for the engine but he said he didn't want to split it up. This car has some trick parts but I doubt if anyone will ever go to the trouble to make it fit the South East Gassers but there are other groups that don't have rules. Contact me if interest he don't want his name on the web.