Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ---Willys Gasser Build---Burning Rubber Back In Time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chop1UP, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Well I'm new to the computer world so ill try to get this picture working.

[​IMG]

2. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

I spy a willys body.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gene is a mastermind !

What cubic inch engine is going in it?

4. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

HotRod here is the motor.....

[​IMG]

Na that is not it, he is going to build the motor by the rules, 6 pounds per cubic inch. Not sure of the finished cars weight.

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

So you're saying the Willys WON'T be 4200+ lbs ??

I'm pretty sure that engine is legal... the funny little lines in the intake are for cooling the intake charge isn't it ??

6. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Got the carburetors back together after the vent tube relocation. We probably have to change jets once the motor gets on the dyno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]e40.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]

You can see the new vent hole we drilled and tapped on the top of carb.

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'm in...subscribed.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

WOW!!
    My first thought when I saw them with the hammer and punch was that no bad can come of this. They need safety glasses.

9. Noland

Noland

Neat, I like Willys

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

I am in on this build. Looks cool so far.

11. Tuning tips from Littleman might be helpful!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

12. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

The frame is welded up, so to help with the roll cage Tommy Mauney and Dean of TM Race Cars came on board to help get the specs and saftey requirments needed for this gasser. Saftey being a big factor in the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Nice car, you should get an original Willies part like a headlight rim so you can claim its at least part Willies

14. Pudge87

Pudge87

Looking good, April 26th is coming up quick though.

15. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Well plenty of hard work and hours have passed on the build and the car is coming together. Got to meet a interesting guy the other night. Terry a guy Gene knows came up and help fit the doors and help with some other fiberglass work on the Willys. He made fiberglass work look easy, he didnt even get it all over him, like i do. He said he built Scotty Cannon's first Willys body, i think it was the Cannon Ball or something like that. He built Cannon's Studebaker and said he also built Tommy Mauneys Willys body. If Quain Stott comes back on the form he will probaly know this guy.

.........Hey check out the Frame Jig we have build this car off of.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

I just like these pitcures...... Its is awsome to me to see a guy's garage door open and a Hot Rod lurking in the background.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Here is the Driver Side door fit, glued, and hinges on. Pulled a late night with Terry and got the doors looking good. People if you like what you see, Please make plans to come out to the South East Gasser Association Race at Greer April 26.....We are working hard to get the car ready along with alot of other people working on their cars to make it. Also check them out..... http://www.southeastgassers.com/ they have a list of other races if you cant make it to this one.

[​IMG]

Also a clip of the battery box being built. Nothing say Get'R'Done like a torch does.....
    [​IMG]

18. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

There is always one in every crowd... Good build fellas! Keep us updated on your progress.
    Jay

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Has Gene mentioned what color paint he wants on the car?

I see a blower scoop in one of your pictures, is he planning on using that on top of those 8 2bbl's?

20. dmc3113

dmc3113

Terry Malone.

21. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Nice progress fellas!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. xracer40

xracer40

Well plenty of hard work and hours have passed on the build and the car is coming together. Got to meet a interesting guy the other night. Terry a guy Gene knows came up and help fit the doors and help with some other fiberglass work on the Willys. He made fiberglass work look easy, he didnt even get it all over him, like i do. He said he built Scotty Cannon's first Willys body, i think it was the Cannon Ball or something like that. He built Cannon's Studebaker and said he also built Tommy Mauneys Willys body. If Quain Stott comes back on the form he will probaly know this guy.

This is the car you are referring too. I have been told it was more or less based off my car which was built about 1966 by Bill Harper and David Carmichael of Hendersonville N.C. Perhaps Terry could comment on that.
    I bought the car from Sunny Chapman who was a customer of Gene. Unfortunately I could not afford to buy motor with the car at the tme.

Attached Files:

23. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

AHotRod, not sure on what color, good chance the car will not be Painted by the race, time is just running out. Robin Caldwell, a awsome artist, has been helping on the build, he is going to get the lettering done for us by the race. Now the Scope is something in planning, the hood has not been cut yet.

24. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

DMC3113, thanks for Terry's last name. He knows his stuff on fiberglass.

25. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

XRacer40, Thats the Willys I was talking about. I saved a Picture of your old Willys, going to ask Gene about the car, looked great. Terry told me when he got done with the body, the body, doors, and front end weighted like 42 pounds...... He also added that the car had over 200 runs on it and never cracked or broke..... As a youger guy I seen it run at Greer and Man, that baby would stroll.......Thanks for the cool info.

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

27. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Well we working long hours and 7 days a week to get this build completed on time. Here is a few pictures of the progress, the pedals are done and the frame has been powder coated. If you look at the first couple of pictures I have posted them before when we worked on the carbs.... If you look I circled the pedal parts that were in progress at the time. You have to look close a small red line.... I'm not good at photo editing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pieces just cut out of a piece of pipe....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

Here is some priceless pictures. End of last year Gene build him a Man Cave at his house onto his Garage.... I went over one evening when he first decided to build the gasser and he working on the frame design. It is drawn to scale and this is how the frame was built........... Not the best pictures but the design has been dragged around the shop...

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

29. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

After some work here is the tunnel for the transmission. Money is gettting short so we have to use what we have.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great to see the progress pictures. Is that a Jerico 4 spd.?