Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Willys coupe gas tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cruizznn, Mar 20, 2016.

1. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Just curious to see what others may do on a steel willys coupe with original frame and ferguson rear floors. I saw some where on here that a guy in sweden used a mid 40's Ford tank but "modified" his replacement floor somehow so it wouldn't hang down and show. I would need to put this aft axle. Anyone have measurements for a tank like that? Like to hear if anyone used a different tank too as long as it is under the car. Thanks

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I used a steel marine tank on my 40 steel coupe with original floors. It was a long time ago but from what I remember it was about 18 gals. and fit between the stock chassis rails about 8" tall and maybe 14" wide. I did cut floor at the rear most point and mounted tank partially in trunk and partially below. Then I built the floor pan to cover the tank. The tank used a right side fill and I was able to use the original fill tube and cap. I lost very little trunk space and did not hang down hideously low. I wish I took pictures but I didn't

Pat

Attached Files:

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

4. A TANK'S 41-48 Ford gas tank is practically a drop in for a Willys frame (you have to move 1 crossmember, and re-weld it, but they fit. ) I use them when they only had poly tanks...now they have the same tank in steel...was also able to tie it in with the original filler...NOTE, make your filler diameter size as large as you can...so the gas pumps will not shut of before filling.
    g-willys

elgringo71 likes this.

5. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

IMG_0591.JPG Here is my solution. I bought a new Willy Jeep gas tank (CJ 5, I think). They are inexpensive and hold 15 gallons. I had to move the small gas tank crossmember forward a few inches.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus