Register now to get rid of these ads!

Williys Stolen in Morris 10/10/10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pistnbroke, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone seen this? another stolen car a 40 Willys from Morris the day after the Hunnert in Decatur we went to the Morris show and swap meet. How in the world did this car get stolen with 2000 people standing around? It was a busy day for sure but they had to drive it out the gate

http://www.facebook.com/GrundyCountySheriff

[​IMG]Grundy County Sheriff's Office CRIMESTOPPERS of Grundy County is seeking information about a MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT on 10/10/2010 between 7:45 and 10:45 am. A 1940 Willys Coupe was stolen from the Lyondell property at 8805 N. Tabler Rd. The vehicle is black with the words "Bone Shaker" and dice on both rear quarter panels. Rewards up to $5,000 offered ...:eek:

Attached Files:

2. WTH is going on at these shows. This beast had to have been loud to start, you would think 100 people would have had seen it crawl through the crowd and out the gate.

3. RAY With

RAY With

Thief's don't have much sense but have balls that go to the ground!.This is just another cool ride that will get striped of its parts and the rest destroyed by idiots. To bad we can't catch them in the act and put the hurt on them.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow..bold as fuck..
    and no one saw nothing?
    Man i find that hard to believe..some one saw something..had to.

my stuff isnt of the claiber..but im getting jumpy.
    who really knows what they will yank? if they have a "customer" looking for something close to what you have or good enough steel and Misc. parts to get that so called "customer" taken care of..any of our rides are ripe for the picking., any of them, folks

were not a big enough threat to these guys..that needs to change..and quickly

5. blktie

blktie

I know the owner and just spoke to him. The Willys was parked across the street in spectator parking and was not part of the show. Just the same it's a pisser and there are probably people out there that watch cars and their owners at shows and cruise nights. I'm sure people are lurking in the shadows to see just how long an owner leaves his/her car unattended. We all have to be a little more cautious about leaving our vehicles outside of eyeshot.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

another reason why i would not drive all the way to any show..to have my car sit out in the lot. Because someone decided it didnt fit the bill after driving all that ways, or what ever the reason

if my ride isnt welcome to go inside with me..I dont go either

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hate to say it (as it might not apply in this case) but a surprising number of idiot hot rod owners actually leave their keys in their cars at shows. I know so many people who do it, and see many keys left in unattended cars, that it almost seems like a challenge to thieves. Who started that "trend" and WHY THE FUCK does anyone do it? Can one key and a FOB be that much of a pain to keep in your pocket?

Back to the point... sure feel sorry for another rodder getting burned.

And again, if the cars are chopped, who is buying the parts? If they are being exported, how do they get out of the country? If they are just being repainted and getting new titles, who is working that? Hard to believe these cars are just being taken by joy riders. Gary

8. blktie

blktie

He didn't have all day to spend there and went as a spectator. He was not refused entry, nor did his car not fit the bill. He merely wanted to take a ride and take in a great show. His plan was to spend about an hour just walking around. His car was locked and he took the keys with him.

As I said, there's just bad people out there lurking!

9. RDR

RDR

I'll say it again guys...We've been marked and if we can't get a handle on this problem our insurance rates won't be affordable....Let's catch some of these bastards and find out where and how these parts or cars are being fenced!! If the law doesn't have time we must make it our job to put a stop to these slimebags....I still haven't heard the WHO and WHY that got apprehended with the '37 Ford Panel in I believe,Arizona..WE NEED INFO ON THESE CULLS !

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sorry, i pulled in some feelings i had about another issue..but as this issue shows, it could happen...and exactly that way.

no matter how you slice this..it sucks and someone needs their hands cut off

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Exactly..and if the Local enforcement doesnt see to it as this is a problem..maybe its time we show them that it is.

and as for the insurance companies, its a license to steal..maybe theres a connection? maybe not..but either way he's right, our rates will be unobtainable

were all going to get painted by the wide brush of the insurance mind, when it comes to this problem..they could put more pressure on the cops..if they wanted to.

12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

So that's why the "gold chainers" sit in their lawn chairs behind their cars....:)

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This makes me sick. Friends of ours had their all steel willys coupe stolen 2 years ago after the NHHR in bowling green and they never got it back. I can't imagine the feeling of finding it gone.:mad:

14. Just to put in an obsevation point on what gets stolen. Late model semi-tractors, pick a brand. Late model farm tractors, pick a brand.
    I have a hard time walking away from my pos 96 Chevy pickup when I take a trip to my favorite fishing hole that's 15 to 20 miles from the closest highways at east or west, and know the cell phone can't work without a signal. Got taught by county police angency when my former house had gotten broken into, AGAIN, rant can be provided if necessary.
    I have a hard time not being within eyeshot of my car if it's not behind a door that's locked, or having a trusted friend or group of friends. HAMB Drags parking lot reinforced some trust of respect by the public for me. But knew eyes were out and I could relax, some.
    Sorry for the loss of the Willys, very very sad. I really hope something can be reclaimed from this loss. Piece of mind for the offended may never be reclaimed. Rant can be provided if necessary about law enforcement being willing to help again. Some agencies/municipalities have their hands tied with problems needing attention and also tie their own hands because not wanting to accept physical evidence DL in wallet.
    Bad regardless. We don't know what every car owner looks like when the door is opened and the engine fires off.

15. Wow that really sucks I personally think its has to do with the hole barrett jackson craze all these thiefs see the auction now they think every car is worth millions they all suck bastards they need to be caught and tied to the back of a car and dragged though a car show. And let everybody kick them in the nuts freakin bastards

16. rebstew187

rebstew187

This stinks. The best we can hope for is maybe someone on here seen it leave and snapped a picture as it left the gates. It's a nice car you never know. His face would be in that picture.
    For the ones freaking out about someone not seeing them take it? I'm sure alot of people did. I used to own a repo company. No one cares about what you are doing if they don't know who's car it is. I have grabbed many cars in crowded parking lots. When these guys take these cars they don't have mask on. They look normal like they are the owner.
    Almost anyone with a little common skill can start one of these older cars. A piece of wire with two aligator clips to jump the battery + to the coil and grab a screw driver to jump the starter and it will run. Away they go

17. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I don't know if the state of Alabama is still like that, but about 10-15 years ago, thiefs would take a car down to Alabama, repaint the car, put new vin numbers on it, and then resale the car. I'm not bashing the state of Alabama here either guys, just saying what was told to me by law enforcement from Kentucky. I know a guy that bought one of those cars. He paid $23,000 for a car only to have some woman come up to him at the Nationals,and say wait here I want my husband to see this car. He was flattered. When the couple came back, the husband looked inside and said, this is our car, it was stoled 3 years ago. He called the cops and filed a lawsuit. The guy that was the new owner lost a lot of money. But he thought everything was all above board.

18. theres a new FB page called stolen hotrod alert,,,,,,,,,might be worth posting there also

19. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

That sucks!!! I had a truck end up in Mexico............

20. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Sorry to hear about the car being taken,

Would have helped if it was posted here on the 10Th or 11Th instead of two weeks later .

Still I have my fingers crossed for a recovery...

I hate a fucking theif..............

Good luck and I'll keep my eyes open for ya......

21. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

a while ago they were taking cars and putting them into containers and shipping them to japan. The cops figuered it out when a lojack took them to the ocean and they could see the boat still in the harbor.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, somethings not jiving here. According to what I read in the first post an Google maps that Willys was stolen in Morris, Il 132 miles from Decatur, Il a day later. Off a chemical companies property.

Most likely scooped up and stuck into a waiting enclosed trailer.

Still it is one more reminder that we need to do more to ensure that our rods don't get stolen.

23. that really sucks! I always worry about my car being stolen no matter where I go, when I move to Florida here in the next few months I plan to put an alarm on my car along with some sort of GPS tracking device just because I feel it's better safe than sorry and anything I can do to prevent it being stolen no matter what it costs is worth it

24. von zipper

von zipper

There's a big swap meet in Morris that day! I'm sure that's where he went to walkaround.

25. cheveey57

cheveey57

Face it these cars are easy to steal. You can have one in less than two minutes. The trick is to make it harder (therefore longer) for the scumbags this way maybe they give up or somebody sees them. Put a microswitch inside the drivers seat so that even with a key you can't start it. You have to lift your ass off the seat while you crank it. There are alot of things you can do & you'd be surprised how many of us do nothing..........

26. 20 years of working in Miami, and one very important lesson learned, a simple toggle switch hidden under the dash is one of thee best anti theft devices ever and always will be. I once lost a bet and watched a guy cut through a " CLUB " , in no time flat, with a tiny torch he pulled out of his pocket. A hidden toggle switch, will stop most anyone short of a tow truck or flat bed. Thieves, the absolute bottom of the food chain.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  27. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I was at the long Beach Swap meet approximatly 15 years ago when the police recovered a bunch of parts,from a stolen Willys. The owner spoted the parts and called the police. He got back the blower,fenders,and enough parts to fill a pickup. Believe it or not, the sellers were not arrested. They claimed they bought the parts from someone else.

28. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

im about 200 miles south in So. Il. with eyes out on this one.

29. MODELA30

MODELA30

I had a 74 chevy caprice that i wired the ignition power to the headlight highbeam switch so even if the steering column got trashed the car would not start. I even had a kill switch that was under the dash in somewhat visable view as a decoy!!!! Who would think that the headlight switch on the floor was a on off button!!!!! Knuck from indiana.

30. silent rick

silent rick

when the pileup was still in morris, a lot of us would attend the lion's show on sunday before coming home. they have a good swap, ten to twenty times larger than any at the pileup. we always paid the twenty bucks to enter but never displayed the number to be judged. (1)we got to park way closer to the swap and didn't have to carry parts too far, (2)there are more people around to watch the cars and (3)the money went to a good cause.
    the running joke the last few years the pileup was in morris was how come not a single cop directing traffic outside the pileup but there's always fifty the next day at the morris lion's show. while i hope the guy gets his car back, this appears to be another black eye on the town of morris.