Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will typical rally center caps fit these wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64starfire, Apr 3, 2010.

1. 64starfire

64starfire

I found a local set of caddy wheels for my starfire, but the owner or myself don't know if standard rally centercaps will fit. He's far enough away where it's easier to ask here first before burn'n gas (that and I'm in Iraq paying someone else to do the work).

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/1673370404.html

Will smoothie/rally caps fit these... anyone? they look pretty damn close.
    thanks in advance. In case you were wondering why not just get a set of smoothies, it's because of a timing issue, or lack thereof.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. Squablow

Squablow

No, these don't have the internal nubs that are required to hold the cap on. you might be able to modify them to work, but the opening in the centers of the wheels would have to be the exact correct diameter for them to work, and that seems unlikely.

Also, the Caddy wheels are 5 on 5" pattern. I don't know what a Starfire is, but the guy lists off a bunch of other cars that he says they'll fit, and they won't because his list is mostly 5 on 4.75" pattern stuff.

3. 64starfire

64starfire

Ok thanks for the heads up. As for the bolt pattern, yeah I saw that , but I did verify that the 62 caddy does have a 5x5 and the Starfire is 5x5. He's probably just using multiple words to get into searches.

4. twofosho

twofosho

Big (full sized) Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, and Cadillac used the 5 on 5 bolt circle pattern in the 50s, 60s, 70s and longer as did 73 up Chev/GMC 1/2 ton pickups and vans (possibly a more plentiful source of rally type wheels) and some Lincolns.

Common Rally type wheel in the 70s on Chevrolet pickups were the ones with a ring of small tangental slots on the centers near the wheel rim. Starting in about 1973 full sized Chryslers used a chromed version of the same basic wheel in a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle pattern with bolt on center caps.

I have run the Chrysler caps on non Rally type wheels of the same bolt pattern by drilling holes in the wheels for the cap mounting bolts (you can drill clearance holes in the brake drums too, if needed). You need the right wheel with a large enough lug bolt area to allow them to bolt solid and look flush or reasonably so. Maybe you can do the same with the Chev caps or use the Chrysler caps, modifying them a little around the lug holes for clearance if needed.

I don't know about GM, but the Chrysler wheels are hub centric. Hub centric or not, at the very least verify the center hole on whatever you chose for replacement wheels is the same diameter as the OEM ones on your '64 to minimize fit up difficulties

Should be some alliance venders on here that can chime in here and get you set up.