Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will this work....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Jan 11, 2020.

1. lilmann

lilmann

Howdy, I picked this “fitting” up about 10 years ago with the thought of putting it in-line with my lower radiator hose to supply hot water to my heater. Basically I’m trying to avoid hoses running off the top of my intake.

My question (before I hack everything up) will it even work? IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3455.JPG IMG_3456.JPG

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The difference in the diameter of the hose to the fittings and a completely closed of flow of the hose, raises concerns with me. What contolls the butterfly?

Bones

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

won't that restrict water flow and cause motor to run hot?

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Just do it the right way with a T in the upper hose

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. lilmann

lilmann

The butterfly is a flapper door controlled by flow of fluid. I’ve always wondered how it would work with constant pressure on “both sides” and my fear is I would end up dead heading an air pocket at my heater.

6. lilmann

lilmann

Yes if I had the direction of fluid running against the butterfly flapper door thingy

7. lilmann

lilmann

I don’t have any provisions off my water pump or radiator but do have the female fitting plugged next to the thermostat

IMG_3459.JPG

None of this was premeditated but i really hate crap running all over an engine

8. The flapper deal is controlled by flow, not pressure. It should allow flow anytime the thermostat is open and shouldn't restrict any more than the thermostat does, as long as it doesn't stick.
    I get what you want to do to have the hoses out of sight. I don't see why the lower hose location would be a problem as long as things were snag proof. Just log your coolant temps and circumstances for a few days before you install it and do the same after to see if there are any tradeoffs that you don't want. It's a minor project to install it or remove it if it's not working out.
    That red anodizing is way too Pep Boys-Asian Motors, Inc. for my tastes, though. At least paint it. The "return and supply" labeling and the little arrows seem contradictory and backwards to me. But then, I'm easily confused. :confused: :oops:

Boneyard51 and lilmann like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

The lower hose is the "cold" side of the radiator. Normally, we plumb the heater from the "hot" side of the cooling system, which is just before the thermostat (that plug in the intake is perfect), and the outlet of the heater goes to where the lower hose connects to the water pump. If the fitting you had was just a T to connect a heater hose to the lower hose, and you also use the hole in the intake for hot water supply, it will be fine.

I haven't thought hard enough about the flapper valve thingy to understand if it would do what you want, but I suspect you'll get hotter water from it, if you use it in the upper radiator hose.

10. lilmann

lilmann

My plan is to give it the old college try but have the intake fitting and lower T fitting incase it doesn’t defrost the window.

Thanks for the help!

Boneyard51 likes this.