Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Will this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

View the video to its entirety and give us your expert opinion.

Will it work, Will it hold up.

What's about about you, do you have something up your sleve for floors you want to share?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. samurai mike

samurai mike

there is never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over.

XXL__, 49ratfink, TagMan and 4 others like this.
  3. The floor pan is a structural member of the body....it has to be welded in to hold the body together.
    to answer your question..sure, then sell the car....

TagMan and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ten minutes of my life gone, you can judge people by the seat covers in their vehicles. :confused: Bob

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I might be more impressed if I saw an actual repair done. I do buy his argument that lots of cars are not worth a complete restoration (after all clever, safe repairs are "traditional") 40 years ago, when I lived in New England, I used metal from scrap washing machines, a hammer to make a crude fit and lots of pop rivets.

More recently, I have coated floors, with small pinholes, with truck bed liner - my "theory" is that it seals the floor from water. 5 years is not long enough to claim success, but, no problems so far.
    I question the use aluminum, will it corrode?

I will watch this carefully, as I just bought a slightly off topic car that needs lots of floor repairs.

6. That's the kind of crap that lot of us have discovered when rebuilding & restoring older cars.
    Do it right the first time. HRP

7. On a winter beater, or maybe some small holes ...... maybe, if your not crazy about the car.

I’ve done stuff like this ( not with aluminum) on my 500 dollar winter beaters that had one or two small holes in the floor.

If this guy is replacing complete floorboards like this you might as well cut out and weld in and do the job correctly if you like/ plan on keeping or the car is worth it.doing it this way is still going to cost money and to
    Me more time then welding in a replacement panel.

My 87 Jetta that I drove a few winters ago cost me 350 bucks, got one day of “ love” and had the piss beat out of it from November to April
    Then it got junked. It was safe , not pretty.

Any car I cared about gets a proper fix

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  8. If its a $300 Hyundai with parking dents and a non-working radio, that you drive to work every morning, this is probably going overboard , but it will work. If it's a car you will take pride in, leave this guy on Youtube.

9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I get it now. Thanks Guys.
    Appreciate it as always.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I wonder if he has a series?
    Volume II
    How to solve rear axle problems with saw dust.
    Volume III
    Knocking Bearings? No longer after some shoe leather
    Volume IV
    Fiberglass Mat and You
    Volume V
    Shifter Problems?
    Coat hanger is the new Hurst
    Volume VI
    The Flux Core welder and You
    How to weld and mount 70s LTD steering wheels permanently
    Volume VII
    Need tunes?
    How to put that Sparkomaic in the dash with nothing more than a cold chisel and a 2x4
    Volume VIII
    It's Electra-Frying
    How to rewire your car with nothing more than speaker wire and Scotch Tape!
    You can collect them all!
    Volume IX is coming soon!
    Solving problems with the multi purpose Milk Jug.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  11. Where I come from a floor repair needs to be a welded repair (can't weld aluminum to steel). Do it the right way.

12. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Unsafe fixes like that gave hotrodders and old cars a bad name. resulting in harder laws for old vehicles in some countries.

13. Back in the mid 80's in western new york state I had a 1968 international scout that we used for plowing snow. If you were to pull back the rubber floor liners you would have found two street signs (35mph on the left, children at play on the right) held in place with some black roofing caulk and a sh!t ton of pop rivets.
    Better than Fred flintstone floors that were there before.
    Full disclosure: plowing was that last stop for that rig before the scrap yard.
    Chappy

14. Why think outside the box when you can live outside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. For fixing the point A to B hooptie, go for it. For something you cars about, do it right. I have used the adhesive to mount the hood scoop on my Ford, strong stuff for the right application.

16. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I've seen the street sign fix personaly that's what lead me to ask this question.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. We had a high dollar,beautiful car & what we initially though was a well built 1937 Chevy convertible in the shop to try and correct some wiring issues,this car had been stripped,all the body work was done and the floors replaced along with patch panels by a reputable shop or so we were told,when we took the seats and carpet out we found a hwy department detour sign had been cut up and screwed to the floor with sheet metal screws and sealed with ordinary house hold caulking.

I surly hope the patch panels are done correctly,we didn't have the heart to tell the guy about the floors. HRP

18. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Why cant the highway department make their signs in sizes to fit pre-war cars without extensive cutting?

Beanscoot, XXL__ and Crazy Steve like this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lasted through it until the statement was made about the 'rivets being stronger than welding'........................

20. squirrel

squirrel

hey, I've done worse....pop rivets are still holding these in. But on a car I care about? nah...I'll do it right.

IMG_20170530_094406.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. 8:00 mark.
    This might be a good idea for cars that aren't worth restoring.

14 ga aluminum plate with 1/4" rivets and panel bond is not going to go anywhere.
    It's not a restorers fix, it's going to make a great patch and safe.
    I've seen high buck Restores fixes that are far far worse than that video. If the bottom side look is important this ain't for you. But if Jr.'s first car has a soft floor it will be way better than nothing.

I swear I though he was going to patch it with that cardboard and epoxy resin coat it. Do you want to know why I thought that?? Because I was just today under a early Firebird fresh out of a body shop, shiney black paint and the front spoiler was fixed up with cardboard. Geeeeeeze oh Pete!

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Des, dem, dos, dat, dis. Aluminum will corrode as badly as steel and aluminum in contact with steel is subject to electrolysis. Many people in Wisconsin bought aluminum trailers thinking they won't rust but they corrode. He is correct in that many modern vehicles are glued together instead of welding.

samurai mike likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

For a quick Barrett Jackson flip.....sure.
    To eventually sell in the H.A.M.B. Classifieds.....better to do it right.

Beanscoot likes this.
  24. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Disclaimer, I didn't watch the video. Epoxy adhesive on panels is pretty standard and quite often stronger than some of the shitty welds done by the "pros". I have used it on my 36 and its still holding...….and I will use it again.

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Since when were pop rivets considered "structural rivets"?
    SPark

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. IMG_1298.PNG
    pop rivets are available in different grades and configurations. If you ask your supplier for "structural" grade blind rivet you'll get it. They have a heavy duty barrel and a shank with a BIG knot on it. It's different than Home Depot pop rivets.