Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will this work to quiet the exhaust note?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco Plumbero, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The lady copper pulls me over, you thought I had robbed first national bank, has her hand on her pistol, has me get out and put my hands on the hood, I was about a foot and a half taller than her and I'm no monster at 6 even. About a full 5 minutes of her parading about not knowing what to do, finally the sergeant policeman sir shows up. I ask him as I look straight forward so as not to get tazered, what did I do wrong today sir? The gal here thinks your toy is a little loud he says. Am I going to get the chair sir? Still looking forward and not moving a muscle. No he says, just stay looking straight ahead for about another minute, I told her I would personally write you up for this one. Yes sir.
    About ten minutes go by, I guess, she finally drives off. OK the sarg says you can relax. He asks me all kinds of questions about the truck, he says fire it up I want to hear it. It's a bit loud he says but I'm not going to write you a ticket for 250 bucks over it, see if you can bring it down a bit.
    Away he goes, I had to have an aspirin that lady had my heart a bangin. Words for her.....all vowels.
    I have a 2 inch exhaust dumping out 2 feet rear of my door on each side through a sonic turbo type oval muffler, do you guys think that if I added a Smithy or a Purple horny or thrush sausage muffler ahead of that turbo that I could knock off 20 decibels at idle and low rpm? They thought I was at about 90 DB, would be happy at about 70. I don't want to see this crazy tazer happy lady again.

2. Just make your tail pipes a little longer. If you cam is long on exhaust duration or you have a ton of overlap you aren't going to quiet it. You may try advancing you spark a degree or two. Sometimes if the timming is a little slow they fire into the pipes and that makes them loud.

If it makes you feel any better I got pulled over in calif once in a traffic jam for following too close.

The officer comes runni ng up with his pistol drawn. I said as calmly as possibel what was the problem. he said following too close. I said "you're going to shoot me for following to close???!!!"

He started laughing and that was pretty much the end of the stop. I guess i fit some sort of a body language profile or some such.

3. Never2low

Never2low

That's crazy. All over a "kinda loud" exhaust. Maybe she is new to the force, following the book, letter by letter. I can honestly say I would not have been that patient, or courteous. I've run smithys and nothing else (not too loud), under 70, probably not.

I love being no help at all:D

4. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I say leave it the way it is, my last car had straight pipes, and I never got bothered at all by the cops or neighbors

5. Maybe she bats for the other team and hates men

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I had a straight pipe on my 55 Metroplolitan ragtop. it was a chrome 4 ft scavenger pipe in place of most of the exhaust.
    To quiet it down I rolled up a piece of that screen with the 1/4 inch squares in it and slid it in the pipe and put a machine screw through the pipe behind it. A guy would have to experiment a bit but he could cut down the sound enough that way without making big changes to the exhaust system.
    Around here there is usually a Harley or kid with a Honda with a fart pipe making enough noise that the local law enforcement folks don't pay a lot of attention to rods unless you make an ass out of yourself in the process. My daily had burned out glass packs that were the closest thing to straight pipes you could get and I never got a sideways glance from even the most aggressive small small town cops. I got headaches when driving long distances on the freeway though.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Her hand on the gun,you hands on the hood for 5 minutes? Gave her a ration of shit when she pulled you over? Of course not..........:D
    Put some sort of mufflers on the car.Every state has laws about excessive noise.Overly loud exhaust is for teenagers in my opinion.

8. If the mufflers you have are street legal I wouldn't change a thing.

9. If you (or they) think it might be too loud, measure the db at whatever distance. Easy to find out your city or county's noise ordinance levels.

Since I'm in the music biz, I downloaded a free db meter app. to my Droid phone, works good. Somebody near you probably has a "smartphone" you can do this with. Did I say free? Then you'll know you're in the right.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahhaha "am i going to get the Chair, sir"?

these poor cops these days//so amped up and no place to let it go..

no cop should be under the age of 38 IMO..these kid cops are so power trippy

Her estrogen would probably go thru the roof and she would cap me..

I think..I would write up a report, at least let her superior know she needs a vacation

and as far as the pipes forgetaboutit..unless they can back up the decibles with an actual reading...they got nothing in court

you have mufflers..you did your part

they have medicaation for what she has

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. pitman

pitman

Just wondering what a balance pipe might do to help. Connects to both sides and evens the pulses out a bit.

12. oldpaint

oldpaint

They thought you were about 90 DB. So they don't have a meter?
    They must go by their trained ear and the mood they are in at the time!!!

I agree that if you run them out the back it will sound quieter. If she was beside you or on the side of the road, by running the pipes out the sides, you are pointing them directly at her.

13. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Sometimes a crossover pipe will tone it down, before the mufflers

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah..she probably doesnt like things pointed directly at her :eek:

like someone else said maybe she plays for the other team

15. Panhead Joe

Panhead Joe

I wouldn't change a thing, if you like it the way it is. Unless the cop has a meter to prove the decibels, just guessing won't cut it in court. I have been pulled over a few times for loud pipes on my Panhead (2 into 1 fishtail) it is earpiercing when up in the RPMs, but at idle it isn't too bad. The one time the cop had a meter he was asking me to increase the RPM's from idle as he sat there with the meter. I refused and told him I wasn't going to cause damage to my bike by revving it. He finally got frustrated and left me alone.

The local cops aren't bad here, but the sherriff's dept. sucks. Sometimes cops just like to break balls to feel manly, call their bluff when you can.

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

Leaving it as is is just plain stupid ass advice,if the same cop that gave him a $250 break stops him again might cost him more,just lengthen the pipes alittle with turndown tips.

17. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

The more bends in the pipes, the quieter it gets.

18. First off a 20dB reduction would be HUGE! Second many states use the follwoing for sound enforcement, check with yours;
    Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower rpm.* The highest decibel reading is then recorded.

*in other words if peak power is at 4600 rpm, then it would be tested at 3450 rpm.

weakest sound heard 0dB
    Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
    Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
    Telephone dial tone 80dB
    City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
    Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
    Subway train at 200' 95dB
    Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
    Power mower at 3' 107dB
    Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
    Power saw at 3' 110dB
    Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
    Pain begins 125dB
    Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
    Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
    Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
    Instand perforation of ear drum 160dB
    Death of hearing tissue 180dB
    Loudest sound possible 194dB

Imperceptible Change 1dB
    Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
    Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
    About Twice as Loud 10dB
    About Four Times as Loud 20dB

19. if you are correct about her size, she probably has female Napoleon syndrome.....

20. I would file a complant with your PD. and copy your counselman. thats about bull shit

21. extend the pipes further rear and turn to ground proabbly
    and give it a crossover in front thats the key

and stay out of their hair and maybee you wont be bothered again

22. Around here, there's only one city with an actual noise limit on the books - 94db. Everywhere else it's above "nuisance" level. In other words if the cop is having a bad day, you're getting written for loud exhaust.

As said, try an H-pipe or balance tube ahead of the mufflers, it will quiet down some. It will also get rid of the pulsing, which is what annoys the civilians, and gets us all excited.

I wouldn't think a 2" system would be anywhere near loud enough to cause problems unless you are trying to shove 14:1 compression through it. I had a 2 1/2" system through 2 chamber Flowmasters dumping right in front of the rear end on a motor with 11.5:1 compression, and never got bothered for it.

23. California has state laws regarding exhaust noise and a nuisance ticket will be thrown out in court pretty much every time. I've fought and helped others fight this on bike tickets a few times in CA and won every time. The judge usually gets frustrated at the cop and throws it out when you present the law and ask for his decibel meter reading in court.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just going to ask/suggest the same thing. IF you want to quiet it down a tad and you dont already have one, a balance tube will help. Doesnt sound like this will work for you, but turning the outlets in towards the center of the car at a 45 deg. angle can help too. Man, I'm glad I dont live where you are, I used to run 3" dynomax bullets with no tailpipes. She woulda shot me for sure!

25. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

exhaust dumps 2 feet rear of the door on either side. Of course its loud If you want it quieter run it out the back and facing behind you, naturally.

I was just talking to my muffler shop about this a few days ago. An h pipe is cheap, but according to them and the articles I've read an x pipe is the way to go and should quiet things more. It makes sense to me, if for no other reason than the more bends you get the quieter it'll be ,as sound doesn't like turns.

Not coincidentally i just bought a DB meter and I've been fooling around with it and my generator, etc. It's surprisingly difficult to accurately estimate the DBs of any given noise with the human ear. I think I read somewhere its about how we percieve sound vs how a meter does , or maybe I made that up.

Anyway my 2 cents are *always* ask for a trial by mail. Even if you lose, you still have the right to a trial in court if you want. That's a deal that's tough to beat. I'm batting .500 by doing this(twice LOL)

Spend the money, run the pipes out the back over the axle and you should pretty well be good.

Not to mention your ears will thank you :)

good luck!

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I had a 60's GM truck with a potent small block and hooker headers and smittys. Same out the side behind the doors and noisy at times. I was being hassled enough that I was going to swap in some milder mufflers which I had with me over the weekend.

While going up a mountain highway to our destination, a state trooper pulled me over. He said I was drowning out his stereo as he followed me. I pointed to the new mufflers in the bed of the truck and explained my plans for the weekend. So he was going to let me go without even a warning when my mother spotted the stop and U turned back to the scene. Jumps out of her car going "What's the problem?" I explained he stopped me for the exhaust sound to which she goes, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE SOUND OF HIS PIPES? I THINK THEY SOUND GOOD!" Now I'm trying to slow my mother down saying, it's cool! He said it's OK to switch them out this weekend. No ticket or warning.......... The officer just stood there grinning because he could see my predicament. He told us to have a safe trip and left.

God bless protective Mothers..................... Whew!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  27. Roadsir

Roadsir

I wouldn't think this spec. applied in the field would ever hold up in court of law with a good lawyer and test engineer as witness. How could an officer verify the maximum hp rpm (without a certifed dyno), verify the percentage of throttle applied, take into consideration ambient noise, calibration of meter, accuracy of the distance measured, verification of the 45 degree angle..... you get the drift. Make me think of Marissa Tomei in "My cousin Vinny"

28. knotheads

knotheads

i had a cop do the gun drawn thing to me and the only law i broke was stopping at a stop sign with my front bumper over the limit line an inch or two. i got a ticket tho .

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Thanks guys, I think she was jealous, they have the new Tahoe interceptors around here now, I think I was louder than her ride. We have a budget deficit and they get new interceptors with vette engines, now they have to get the money to pay for them, ouch. I think I'm going to run a crossover, hard to do cause she's so low, hard to extend them cause I go out the running boards on the sides, I may try making some baffle plates to fit into my collectors. I'm an old gray hair, I have to save my excitement for my weekly. Have to keep Lady Officer Ms. Sir yes Sir off my tail.

30. pitman

pitman

Might try a "flattened" X (place tube on anvil, hit w/BFH, repeat, or cleaner oval results if vice squeezed) or simple 90* crossover.