Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will Stromberg BXVD-3 Fit a ford 200?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StarDiero75, Feb 10, 2017.

1. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

I just bought this Stromberg for my 200 and I'm wondering if it'll fit. If not, is there some sort of adapter for it or will it have to be made?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year 200? The manifold log changed/got larger, and the the throttle bore went from 1-1/2" to 1-3/4".

I believe that @carbking will be able to fill in some details.

3. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

It's a 1965 200.
    Ok, I'll check it out.

4. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

I can't start a conversation with carbking b/c of his privacy settings.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing that occurs to me is that this is not going to work.

Your car is equipped with a Load-O-Matic distributor. This is not a stand-alone appliance. It is controlled by a special valve on the side of the carburetor, called the Spark Control Valve, or SCV.

The distributor itself does not have centrifugal advance. It is solely controlled by vacuum, via this valve.

If you want to use that carburetor, you will have to change the distributor too, which is not a bad idea, as Load-O-Matic distributors generally suck, more so if they are worn. They have a super-lazy advance curve.

You can get a Duraspark II distributor and control module for your 200, from any Ford with a 200 or 250 from the mid-70's on, that you find in a yard, and drop it right in.

That change alone will make it feel like you gained 50hp, and it should be under $50.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tagged him. He will get a notification.

7. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

Its funny you mention this b/c I'm actually getting rid of it. I bought a CRT Performance one and I just need to install it. I actually think mine isn't a loadomatic b/c I'm running a 1904 Holley w/o a spark valve and it runs 100x better than it does than with my autolite 1100 I bought for it.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone may have already swapped it out. They did suck pretty hard, even when they were brand new, and in perfect working order.

If you are looking to wring out some more performance, these respond nicely to a Weber 32/36 carburetor. The primary is a little smaller than stock, but it has an on-demand secondary. These can often be found used at VW shops, for cheap.

There is power to be found in these. I have a fully built-up 200 that runs fuel injection, and makes almost one-horsepower-per-cubic inch.

9. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

Oh that's neat man! I've got this standing 200 I'm on the process of taking apart and I want to turn it into a real sporty engine.
    So the Weber should bolt up the same or will it need some sort of adapter?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Weber will require an adapter.

If you are looking for sporty, swap the head for one made on/after 1980. It will need to be milled 0.075" to preserve the compression ratio, but it has the biggest log, runners, and valves that Ford ever made. The part number starts with E0. These can be had a local yards for about $50. Block off the EGR.

I will look in my pile. I may have a spare E0 head and a spare Weber adapter that fits it.

11. carbking

carbking

The Stromberg BXVD-3 is a S.A.E. size three carb (2 15/16 inch center to center on the mounting studs). Internally, a number of different venturii were available, allowing the carb to be used on 218 ~ 237 CID engines. If your 200 is otherwise stock, you may have to raise the idle and/or the engine may run lean at idle/off idle RPM's. Would be good to know which BXVD-3.

O.E. BXVD-3's will have a code number STAMPED (NOT raised) in the airhorn/bowl cover (look straight down on the airhorn/bowl cover in the general area above the fuel inlet fitting. Universal A.M. BXVD-3's were identified by tag only, but the venturi diameter will be cast (raised) in a circle on the bowl casting.

Wonderful carb, if not too large internally for your engine.

No comment about the distributor, not my area of expertise.

Jon.