Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will Panhard bar on the shoebox help with skirt rub?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ozzie, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie

Howdy folks, When I am turning left or right in the shoebox with the cruizin skirts I hear and feel the tires rubbing on the skirts, the harder the turns the louder the sound of the rub. I thought to myself..... I have no Panhard bar!!!. If I buy a standard panhard bar kit, would it be straight forward install? Tab on one side of the top of the rear end and the other end of the bar on the frame on the opposite side and whala, beter handling and no side to side sway of the rear end?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Ozzie

2. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

More than likely, not. The panhard rod will stop most side to side movement, but not too much of the body roll. You are on leaf springs, aren't you? It could help if the springs are swaying side to side too much, but in that case the spring hangers and bushings should be looked at.

M.

3. Ozzie

Ozzie

Does anyone on here have a panhard bar attached to their otherwise stock rear end shoebox? Any pictures? and also which panhard bar did you buy for it. Did you attach the mounting tab on the drivers side or pass side of the axle housing. Thanks,
    Ozzie

4. BigChief

BigChief

If you've got rubber bushings in the spring eyes and shackles (especially if they are old) a swap to fresh polyurethane or Del-a-lum bushings will take much of that side to side slop out of the rearend......and you don't need to cut the car up to do it. Reinforcing the shackles with a cross-braces on them will also help with the sway when coupled with the urethane bushings.

I'd try to do the KISS method with bushings before putting on a panhard bar.

-Bigchief.

5. Upgrade the spring bushings and also a swaybar may be in order to resolve the body roll you are trying to eliminate.

6. flathead4d

flathead4d

Get the rear sway bar from JAMCO. Bolts right on and no more rub on my cruiser skirts.. JAMCO.COM

7. Ozzie

Ozzie

Lots of info.I'll replace the bushings and then see what happens,then go to the swaybar.

I'll also install the front sway bar I have in the parts car...as soon as I getaround to removing it from the donor car. Thanks again for all the advice.
    Ozzie

8. Ozzie

Ozzie

Thank you so much for the info guys. I installed the front sway bar I had on the donor parts car with new rubber, and replaced the bushings and shackles in the rear. And it has definitely worked well. Very happy with the results. I also replaced the rubber brake hoses in the front disks to braided lines which are a wee bit longer, so no chance of kinking or binding. All in all the shoebox is running great!! Thanks for the help!!!