Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will it fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Super, Jul 5, 2014.

1. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

I have a 51 Buick Super with a straight 8. Looking to swap it out. I have found a Buick 455. Will it fit?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Sure it will,but like everything else it is not simply a bolt in. HRP

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hammer to fit, paint to match...!!!

R-

4. Plasma cutter is the new oxy-acetylene torch! With proper application of said plasma cutter, you can put a top fuel hemi in a Matchbox car.

5. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

Thx.

6. [​IMG]

Sure, why not......

7. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 455 with a turbo 400 in my 49 Sedanette. Was a simple install. Made some motor mounts and a tranny mount and dropped it in. If you need pictures I can send some.

8. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

Pics would be great! Thx

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will take some and post later.

10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First picture gives you an idea of how the 455 and turbo 400 fits in the frame. Note that I have a M-II cross member installed, but that shouldn't make a difference in the engine tranny conversion. The second and thirds picture are of the tranny mount. I used a 1 x 2 piece of box tubing and some 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate for the sides and mounting surface. I cut the box tubing at an angle to slide into the X member, welded the plates to the sides and drilled 4 holes in each plate to bolt it to the X member. You can see the gussets under the mounting plate in the third picture. Before you drill the X member holes be sure you are close on the drive line angles. Leave a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch gap between the mounting plate and the tranny mount so you can adjust the angle with spacers once you have everything close to what you need.

The last picture is of the engine mounts. I used a piece of 2 x 3 box tubing I had laying around. Cut a piece for each side and both ends of each piece at 45 degree angles, welded the bottom to the frame. The box tubing fit just inside the 455 motor mounts. I marked where the bolt needed to go through the motor mount and the box tubing, drilled the box tubing and welded in a piece of pipe so the bolt would go through the pipe from one side to the other and have strength.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  11. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

Thx for the pics & information.
    The gentleman wants $750 for the pair. I want them but what I would really like is a donor car. That way I can transplant the engine, tranny, rear end, power steering & a/c if I'm lucky.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck. Should be a great project. Had a 1950 and 51 Special. Nice riding cars stock.
    I agree. Try to get a compete donor car.