Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will Buick drums fit 38 Lincoln brakes??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead29A, Jun 17, 2014.

1. There's a pair of genuine 38 Lincoln front brake assembly's for sale over here, but before I commit are these the same as the repop ones available? And will they fit my Buick finned drums as the 39 style brake assembly's do? Also any idea what they should be worth? They are minus the hubs and drums. Thanks in advance..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

This is of interest to me too!more so because i want to know if i can run 39 wide five hubs on 1941 lincoln backing plates and stubs?so are 38/39 backing plates the same diameter as ford counterparts?the same ones that fit the buick drums sorry to get a little side tracked johnny

3. Aren't '38 Lincoln brakes cable operated mechanical brakes? I know the LZ brakes are.

Lot of pictures and info on this thread, check Dennis Lacy's post #24.

4. The pics I have of the so called 38 brakes I'm looking at show they are juice, I'm guessing that an expensive car like the Lincoln would have to have juice brakes by 38 or they would be way behind the competition??

5. Anyone here done this before?

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, as a minimum...post some pics and measure the spacing between mounting part of plate and where shoes rest, so the things can be identified. They are not '38 Lincoln.
    They could be later Lincoln or they could be something else, perhaps Ford, used to convert a '38 Lincoln...
    If some kind of later Zephyr/Continental type Lincoln, you need at minimum to figure out spindle pattern, as I believe Lincoln kept the '32-36 type spindle bolt spacing for a couple years into the '40's, and how far mounting surface is set outward from rest of plate...this got extreme on some years, matches Ford on others. Spindle bolt pattern is the simpler problem to deal with. Basic diameter (assuming they are some kind of early Lincoln) would be 12", so would potentially fit Buick drums.

7. Andy

Andy

Your safest bet is to get a set of rears. They have the needed off set. Just remove the emergency stuff. The fronts could be too shallow, just right or too deep. Also some had the early pattern as Bruce said. All the rears have the later pattern.

8. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405902851.353433.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405902869.518137.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405902906.651157.jpg

Managed to go one better than the brakes I was looking at, got a pair of original 46 Lincoln bendix brakes for a labour trade for some work on a friends car. They have the deep offset so I made some adaptors and spun up some new hubs, machined the round back spindle at the top for clearance and bolted em up. Genuine Lincoln brakes are bloody rare over here so I'm pretty stoked to have a pair, nothing wrong with the repops but I prefer the real deal. Good thing is he has a set of rears for me as well..

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  9. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

GOOD ON YA! and thanks for showing the pics,you know internally that look exactly like my trucks 48/52 f1 brakes. Johnny

10. Thanks mate, yea they are bendix brakes so I'm guessing they are pretty much the same as each other more or less..