Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will a T86E fit a 63 Galaxie w/ 289 SB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ventilo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ventilo

ventilo

Hello,
    I've got a 64 Galaxie Fastback with a 289 small block and a column-shifted 3speed manual transmission.
    Would a T86E 3speed w/ Overdrive fit my set-up? I'm looking for a longer gearing for our Autobahn speeds but like to retain the column shift and front bench seat.

2. Is the T86 the transmission with a nonsynchronized 1st gear? It has been a long time, but I think the input shaft on the 289 transmission is about 5/8" longer where it goes into the pilot bearing. There may be bushings that can take care of that. I think the transmission mount may be more forward too, but it has been 40 years since I dealt with that problem.

Hopefully someone with some more recent experience will chime in.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The T86E was an option in '64, so it should be a bolt in practically. You will be able to retain the column shift just fine. You might have to swap trans mounts as the OD unit makes the T86-OD longer through the mid section, and that might push the mount back when compared to the standard 3 speed. But it should be a OEM part. Make sure you get the cables and wiring harness with relays for the transmission. That way, OD is engaged automatically (with a quick lift of the throttle). The T86-OD is a great transmission as long as you don't put too much power through it, and with a 289, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Good Luck

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'49 thru '64 Ford transmissions share a common bolt pattern. It was '65 when they changed significantly.

I had a '63 T-86 w/OD that came from behind a 260.........you should be able to just bolt it on.

Ray

5. All good advice, but I'll clarify it a bit more....

The early small blocks (62-64) were all '5 bolt blocks', in '65 Ford went to the 6 bolt (except for the early-65-production 260 which was a carryover from '64 and discontinued mid year). The bellhousings don't interchange and can be easily identified in the car by checking the size of the bolts that hold the bell on; the 5-bolt uses 9/16" bolt heads, the 6-bolt uses 5/8" heads. Make sure which block you have. Now, there do exist some 'dual pattern' bellhousings and/or transmissions that will accept both the '49-64 transmission bolt pattern and the wider '65-80s pattern, but that doesn't ensure correct fit. Ford also changed the input bearing retainer size in '65, going to a larger diameter. So the early transmission, even if it bolts the later bell, won't be indexed properly as the early retainer will be 'loose' in the bellhousing. The later transmission won't fit the early bell as the retainer will be too big unless you turn the retainer down in size. You can swap the bearing retainers on most of the transmissions to get the correct diameter if you have a dual pattern bell or transmission.

The other issue is the pilot bearing shaft on the end of the transmission input shaft. The small blocks do have a longer shaft; about 1/4" longer than what was used on other Ford motors. If using a transmission with the short pilot shaft, use a steel ball bearing pilot bearing, not the OEM bronze bushing. The bronze bushing won't have enough engagement of the shaft (only about half) and will quickly 'hog out' leading to clutch issues and transmission input bearing wear. The steel bearing will be better able to deal with the short engagement.

None of these are insurmountable problems, just things that you need to be aware of and deal with.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No clarification needed. The engine he has is a '64 and apparently original 3 spd. That being the case, no bell housing changes needed and the T86E overdrive trans should just bolt on.

Ray

7. ventilo

ventilo

Thanks for all your info, unfortunately I wasn't the highest bidder on eBay...