Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Will a Model A sedan fit on a '70s T bird chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66gmc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

1470542234235.jpg 1470542247866.jpg 1470542304378.jpg 1470542395911.jpg 1470542671057.jpg
    Saved this sedan from being frame swapped on a 70s Tbird chassis today. I need some help identifying some parts that came with it.
    It came with 2 front fenders. I believe 1 is AR but I don't know which is which. Also the doors I think are Briggs 4 door. The inside is set up for wood framing. But I could use some help identifying them as well

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

2. 66gmc

66gmc

Bump. I could still use some help. I am assuming the fender with the more rounded back edge is the AR fender? Is there any difference between 28-29 and 30-31 briggs doors?

3. 66gmc

66gmc

Here is a picture I saved from the ad. Someone really mutilated this thing with an angle grinder trying to make it fit that T bird chassis.
    [​IMG]

I was going to part this pos out, but I feel bad for it so I started fixing it today.
    [​IMG]
    Got the drivers side cowl and drivers side of the gas tank patched up today. Got a good start on the dr 1/4 panel before I ran out of argon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its still a pos, but it looks better than it did this morning
    [​IMG]
    If I cant find tudor doors for it I think I am going to make it into a 2 door tub. I think the same guy that did the frame swap tried to chop it, the roof is pretty much destroyed.

kiwijeff, deadbeat, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  4. The only advice I really have is change the title of the thread. Frame swaps are a huge no no on here, even though you are not doing that, it will likely result in people ignoring the thread or having it deleted. The doors between 28-29 are no where near the same as 30-31, the belt line is a pretty obvious giveaway. 4 door doors will not work on a two door, they are shorter. Pick up doors are the same as two door sedan. The rust repair looks nice.

shivasdad, 1927graham and ronzmtrwrx like this.

5. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks for the response. I posted the thread with a normal title last night, and everyone ignored it. The bs title seems to be getting more hits so I think I will keep it.
    I know the difference between regular ford built 28-29 doors and 30-31 doors. What I need to know is if there is any difference between the coachbuilt briggs doors so I can identify what I have. I found this picture but its too small for me to see any details between the 29 and 30-31
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    LOU WELLS and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

28/9 Tudor doors are still fairly plentiful. Decent ones can be had for $200-$300. Sell off the fordor doors to recoup some of the cost.Great work so far on the sheetmetal. You have the metal skills. Complete the chop rather than turn it into a tub. Hammered Tudors look great.

7. cretin

cretin

Thank you for saving that!

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, they are not. 1928-1929 Model A closed cab pickup doors are actually 1926-1927 Model T doors. They do not interchange with 1928-1929 Model A Tudor doors.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The belt line on Fordor doors match 28-31, widths vary between Briggs and Murray, so do the window tops straight vs curved. There isn't a big market for Fordor doors, find a pair of Tudor doors and you can save that body. Bob

66gmc likes this.
  10. The fender in the second photo is AR.. AR's have the big radius where they meet the splash apron. Very rare fender. Worth the work to save it. If you had a pair I would be all over them!

falcongeorge, volvobrynk and 66gmc like this.
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damm I was just in the middle of enjoying my dinner when this thread popped up. I takes a lot to put me of a home cooked dinner. You are joking of course?????
    You are doing some nice work to save what was destined to be a poor lost wretch.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Still smoking the same stuff? Gary

13. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks to everyone for the info, I appreciate it!
    I put the doors up for sale on the local classifieds site, hopefully I can trade them for a pair of rough tudor doors.
    I would like to keep this thing as a tudor, but I am trying to avoid dumping a bunch of money into it. I enjoy bringing stuff like this back from the dead, but at some point I have to justify my time and money invested.
    Last year I spent 3 months of evenings and weekends rebuilding a really rough 28 rpu cab, when it was finished no one wanted it. So im trying to avoid having the same thing happen here.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. butch27

butch27

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

English! Do you speak it?

For fucks sake guys read a god damn thread before you comment.

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  17. ev88f

ev88f

Can you imagine someone looking at that frame with that body and saying "yeah that'll work?"

Good job on trying to save it!

18. 66gmc

66gmc

Thought I would update this. I am still picking away at this body. Pictures are pretty self explanatory. I picked up some rough but workable tudor doors and roof sections so its going to stay a sedan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 66gmc

66gmc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moved on to the other side. Someone cut random rectangles out of the center of the 1/4 panel, and they also worked the whole thing over with a claw hammer and then ground the whole thing with a 24 grit grinding stone. I patched up the random holes, and then spent some time hammer and dollying everything and filing it. not perfect but its a big improvement over what it was.
    [​IMG]
    Filing in progress
    [​IMG]
    and finished
    [​IMG]

20. 66gmc

66gmc

lower 1/4 panel tacked, welded, and finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got the passenger cowl patched up today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The passenger door isnt as rusty as the drivers door so I was able to get away with doing a lower patch. Got the patch wheeled out this evening, hopefully i can find some time tomarrow to get the edges broke and the patch sectioned in and tacked.
    [​IMG]

Once the door is finished I have to build the rear body panel, then I can start squaring up and bracing the body so I can redo the chop.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

you do good work. Keep going

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice work! And you're well on your way to a straight Sedan body.

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job on the panel replacement. AND...good save!

24. Nice metalwork. And a good save. Makes me want to take a crack at my yard art.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. gatz

gatz

man, that's some great metal-working skills
    looks great

26. Nice save. Look'in good there.

What kind of hillbilly imbecile would try that?????

27. when i read the heading, i thought what the hell is this guy thinking? happy to see it was the dummy that owned it before you that had such a dumb idea. now the car looks to be in good hands. nice welding skills

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm sure there's a joke about Saskatchewan in there somewhere...

But I'm just gonna say good save!

29. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks everyone.
    I got the door bottom patch finished up yesterday.

Tack welded
    [​IMG]
    Fully welded and finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up some more metal today for the rear body panel so hopefully I can find time to start on that tomarrow.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Very nice metalwork.